DAILY SUGAR INTAKE!! HELP!!

Options
Ok, so I have been eating a gluten, dairy, and soy free diet for a month now and I feel great but, the weight is not coming off and I was told its because I eat too much sugar! I don't know what to do!! Today I have had blueberries, a peach, and a almond yogurt...and I have over 55 grams of SUGAR!! I need to get this down to 24 grams but, I don't see how!!

Any advice???

Replies

• digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Try plums
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with my sugar intake. I have started only counting refined sugar, so not from fruit. Partly because I believe in the evidence supporting fructose and glucose being processed differently in the today and partly because I not give up fruit. It works for me.

Good luck
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    2 pieces of fruit a day if your trying to loose weight. Waatch the dairy it can cause bloat beacuse of the salt and sugar in it. also if your ding gluten free food that is processed again its processed can cause you not to loose weight. I try to keep mine at about 60g a day and that comes from fruit some low fat dairy. I stay away from processsed foods and artifical sweetners alone with processed sugar. I really have to watch what I put into my body because I gain weight very easy. So even if I eat healthy foods and to much i still may gain. I cant see your foods so I can not truly say just guess. PS DIET pop and zero caloire drinks can be a cause too
  • suse56
    Options
    I hear ya, I am always over my sugar grams by noon. Grapes are the worst offenders!!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    dont eat yogurts unless it is plain greek. Add your own fruit to it. To many added sugars or artifical sweetners'
  • Munchie06
    Options
    Pay attention to the sugars in the yougurt, try a light or sugar free version. I switched from Yoplait to Yopliat Light and cut half the sugar out! (I'm not a yogurt person so liked the sweetness of the Yoplait)
    Try Chioban or other Greek yogurt, those cut out the sugars.
    And, yes, natural sugars are processed better by the body, so don't stress on the natural sugars, try to cut out as much of the sugar in teas and other drinks too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with my sugar intake. I have started only counting refined sugar, so not from fruit. Partly because I believe in the evidence supporting fructose and glucose being processed differently in the today and partly because I not give up fruit. It works for me.

Good luck

This is somewhat false. Fructose still spikes your insulin, and fructose is actually the component in refined sugar that is linked to weight gain and obesity. Also, most fruits have plenty of glucose as well. "Refined" sugar is just sucrose, which is a molecule of 50% fructose and 50% glucose, most fruits have about the same levels of free fructose and glucose molecules. As far as your body is concerned, it's the same thing. Sugar is sugar.

That said, unless you have blood sugar issues or insulin sensitivity issues, the actual amount of sugar you eat in a day really doesn't matter much, as long as your overall calorie total is where it should be.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to the sugars in the yougurt, try a light or sugar free version. I switched from Yoplait to Yopliat Light and cut half the sugar out! (I'm not a yogurt person so liked the sweetness of the Yoplait)
    Try Chioban or other Greek yogurt, those cut out the sugars.
    And, yes, natural sugars are processed better by the body, so don't stress on the natural sugars, try to cut out as much of the sugar in teas and other drinks too.
    Sucrose is a natural sugar. Technically so is high fructose corn syrup for that matter (really HFCS is just corn syrup and fructose blended together until they get the ratio of fructose:glucose they want, usually 55% fructose to 45% glucose.) The body has zero problems processing them, especially compared to free fructose and free glucose. The digestive system has an enzyme in it who's sole job is to split sucrose molecules into fructose and glucose, and it happens quickly and almost instantaneously upon entering the intestines. Whether it's sucrose together, HFCS, or individual fructose or glucose (or lactose for that matter) molecules, a healthy person will digest and process all of them exactly the same way.

If anything the artificial sweeteners in your Yoplaits are harder on the digestive system than any actual sugars.
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just started working on this yesterday/today! Very difficult! Here are some changes I've made that have taken my sugar intake down a bit (only 3g over today!):

-Swapped procesed snack bars/100 calorie packs for less processed dark chocolate squares
    -Cut my fruit intake and upped my veggies (no more then two servings fruit and mostly berries)
    -Added an ounce of almonds to my everyday staples to fill the calorie void with little sugar/carbs
    -Cut my milk intake in half and swapped for cheese
    -Increased my lean protein intake
    -Increased my "good fats" various oils, butters, nuts, avocados etc.
    -Swapped sweet bottled salad dressings for homemade more tangy varieties
    -Increased my leafy green veggies because they're lowest on sugar

Hope some/any of that helps!
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Bananas, grapes and berries (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc..) have the highest sugar content of all the fruits, so should be limited during the weight loss faze. You don't need to cut them out completely, but cut back on them.

Green apples and pears have the lowest sugar content of all of the fruits.

For yogurt, you're best to get plain Greek Yogurt, then add your own fruits and flavorings.

My favorite way to enhance my Greek yogurt.. mix in 1 tsp of coconut oil, some chopped almonds, a dash of cinnamon (supports insulin sensitivity), and then add a touch of raw, organic honey. Mix it well. Stick it back in the fridge for 10 minutes so that the coconut oil gets solid. It will add fun texture to your yogurt without changing the flavor. Sometimes I'll add a touch of vanilla.

Any store-bought yogurt that has added flavors will have sugar or high fructose corn syrup added to it. Even if you add your own organic cane sugar, or raw organic honey... you'll still have LESS sugar than what is in the store bought stuff.

Also, switch from regular yogurt to greek, it has more protein in it.

Without having access to your food diary, that's the best advice I can give you.

God bless!