Ladies water weight question

Options
I tried looking through the forums for the answer and didn't really find what i was looking for. I really don't understand the whole water weight gain in conjunction with your cycle thing. So, does anyone gain up to 5 lbs right before their cycle? And when does your weight go back down? How can this be alleviated? I'm to the point in my dieting that i crave water (total NSV) so i'm obviously not going to reduce my water intake, but i'm frustrated and confused.

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    search the forums for "TOM water weight"

pour yourself a drink first.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Drinking water does not make you retain water, so don't worry about not drinking water, please keep drinking water. The bloat is very common, and I gain 4-5 pounds over a 2 day period during TOM and if I way overdo my salt intake.
  • jenvens
    jenvens Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Drinking water does not make you retain water, so don't worry about not drinking water, please keep drinking water. The bloat is very common, and I gain 4-5 pounds over a 2 day period during TOM and if I way overdo my salt intake.

I agree! It usually goes away after a few days. I usually refrain from weighing myself during TOM's little visit...so that I won't get discouraged!
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree. I've noticed if I keep my salt intake under control, because you seriously need less than 1500 mg daily to survive, that I have hardly any water gain before TOM regardless of how much I drink.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I generally gain 2-3 pounds the first day of my TOM. I've never really pinned down when it subsides. I want to eat more than usual. The cravings are killin' me! Not craving water, however. LOL
  • yesenia195p
    yesenia195p Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I gain up to 5lbs before my period. It usually goes away after a couple days after I start. Avoid salty food
  • LaineyM1979
    Options
    I gain weight just before my period and it doesn't disappear until it has near enough finished, so for me it lasts almost a week. I don't know of anything to do to prevent this. I just try not to weigh myself during that time as seeing the sudden increase on the scales can be disappointing. But it's only water, not added fat, so I just try not to worry what the scales may say at that time, as I know it will disappear again soon.
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    #1 I feel way better now.
    #2 silly sodium... it's hidden everywhere!!! I'll try to monitor it around ...

Thanks for the help!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My problem seems to be after I finish, which is right now. I've gained almost 4 lbs in a day. My boobs hurt and I feel like crap with all the bloating. I am increasing my water intake and watching my salt. It is totally frustrating, but for me it's something I know will go away in a few days. Just keep on keepin' on. It'll pass eventually.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    But its not really "weight gain" -it goes away. So don't worry about it. You'll just have to right that off in your head when it comes that time. I, myself, have never experienced a noticeable amount of weight gain during TOM.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    #1 I feel way better now.
    #2 silly sodium... it's hidden everywhere!!! I'll try to monitor it around ...

Thanks for the help!

What everyone else said. :) Blessings of being a girl, lol.

Sodium, OMG!!! I wanted to have some menudo for lunch, so I looked at it in the can. Holy Crap, the sodium! So, I say to myself I'll make my own. Just need some enchilada sauce...again, the sodium! So apparently I have to make my own enchilada sauce, lets see it needs some tomato sauce...WTF???????

Now I have a big pile of tomatos in my fridge...