Rest Days (question for runners)

Options
I would like some runners *opinions*

Please, explain to me the importance of REST DAYS between running.
I know i could google this but i get too much conflicting information out there :D

I just started running/walking two weeks ago.

I have been running/walking *almost* daily. Slowly working myself up.

Yesterday I ran/walked for 80 something minutes. 3.5 pace for walking. 6.2 pace for running. Intervals of 2 to 3 minutes average for both walking and running. varied/random.

Since I am a beginner, my goals right now are to just see where I stand and see what I can do. The first day, my legs were a little sore but not bad at all. I have a previous knee/leg/ankle injury so that is why I am particularly cautious about this one. I do not want to re-injure myself.

I feel like I could run daily. Doesn't seem to bother me. But I HAVE been doing it at this intensity. I just don't want to eff everything up because I am really starting to love running <3

*is this okay? for me to be doing this intensity esp. since I am just now beginning? with my previous (SEVERE) injuries?
*should i slow myself down?
*how many days a week is realistic to run?
*how many minutes/hours a day is realistic/ideal? (I understand this is goal orient based...)
*Basically should I set a schedule where I run intensely every other day or something like that?

edit.
just trying to get a good 'baseline' for myself because i am CLUELESS about being a runner or athlete of any kind :)

Replies

• LixxiKitti
    Options
    Hi Sarah :)

As a beginner, I would recommend as below:
    - Don't run more than 4 days a week. Some of the best runners I know don't train more than 4 days a week.
    - Muscle pain is ok. Injury-type pain is not. A common thing with beginning runners, and/or people increasing their mileage and intensity is getting injured. If you feel you have injury pain, take the next day off. Then, try a run again, and if its no good, take another day off.
    - As a beginner you should have rest days every few days - your body isn't used to the running yet so you'll need a little recovery time. And recovery is where all the good work is done in your muscles.
    - In terms of setting yourself a schedule, aim for one inside, one outside, and one speed/interval set a week. That will give you a good base. If you want to do a 'long run' a week, aim for 20% of your overall weekly mileage (ie if you run 30km per week, run 6km in your long run).
    - Anything 40 mins and over is good :)
    - Above all else, listen to your body. If you're really tired or sore, take a break.

Good luck!!! If you need more info, I can highly recommend Kara Goucher's book "Kara Goucher's running for women: From first steps to marathons" - its really easy to read and has loads of good info.
    I'm fairly new to this too, luckily for me my cousin is an age group triathlete champ so a lot of what I know is what she's taught me. :)

Running is the best!!
    LK
  • someonelikemyself
    Options
    Your speed is perfectly fine! it's pretty good for a beginner with an injury! but for people that did vigorous exercises (like high impact aerobics) before for around more than 6 weeks would find this a brisk walk.
    Don't slow yourself down but decrease the amount of time i guess because u had an injury if you didnt have a serious one i would say go for it so if you want call your previous doctor and ask him if you can exercise without worrying about your leg?
    4 days for your case are too much (well for every1 it's 3 maximum) unless you make sure with your doctor, and if he says it's fine 3 days are okay.
    i would say 15-20 minutes for beginners (it's nt that easy for some) it all depends on you if you feel well or not. You haave to listen to your body if your tired brisk walk and take a breath then continue, if your exhausted and in pain STOP immediately.

I would recommend that you start slow (if you start high you'll reach a plateau well if your interested in weight loss too this should matter)to get used to it then add 5-10 minutes every week or 2 weeks depending on how well you adapt. By the way there are running schedules online if you're interested i'm just letting you know ,also try to do some resistance training to strengthen your muscles in order to run better and don't EVER forget to stretch!!!!!!! after your workout and drink lotsss of water of course more than 8 glasses a day.
    when you're sick of running you can jump rope to build strength

NOTE that the problem with running on hard surfaces is that it harms the joints so running shoes are a must to cushion the joints ,and a track!!!. Try not to run excessively as it may harm them. That's why i recommend mixing up your routine to not keep a constant pressure on them. On the other days of the week do some jumping rope,swimming is best it does not pressure them like jump rope im guessing, or any other strengthening activites
    so basically remember 3 times a week tops to protect your joints but you can make it count in this case and run 45 minutes then when you get used to it add 5-10 minutes each week or 2.
    another tip eat snacks before 1.5- 2 hours from your running session depending on how heavy the snack is.... , and heavy meals should be eaten at least before 3-4 hours it's very important.
    i would run every other day, if you exercise in other days of the week ... 1 to 2 days must be rest days

Hope this helped i used to be in a track and field team :) i love running but around here there are so many hills i would get injured easily so instead i jog and brisk walk. Good luck and i can imagine why you love running take care sarah!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of differing opinions on the frequency of running. Some people do fine running daily or almost daily. Some need breaks. A lot depends on intensity. If you aren't pushing it hard very often, you can run more frequently & probably be fine. Everyone needs to see what works for them. Due to lack of free time, I generally don't run more than 4x week. But if I had more time, I feel that I could run up to 6 days a week with those additional runs being easy ones and not cause myself any issues.
    The best route is to just ease into seeing what you can do & listen to your body.