whats with the tanning?

Options
I understand wanting a nice little glow, but I don't get why the majority of fitness/health freaks (term of endearment, I promise) that I know are so concerned about hitting the tanning beds. I feel like that's pretty counter-productive - trying to be healthy but causing skin damage at the same time. WTF.

(Random thought of the day. Don't hate.)

Replies

• keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Sunbeds are my guilty pleasure.

I so shouldn't use them tho- I'm not about having a winter tan either really so won't be going anywhere near them for a long time!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    spray tan all the way
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    I appreciate your concern...

Well for me it is part of my daily schedule to take a quick jog in the sun shirtless to absorb some of the Vitamin D.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The darker you are the more muscle definition shows up.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I agree. A friend of mine has gotten into fitness modeling and competitions and now she looks burnt. It's really gross.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm won't do it. I'm fair skinned and I like it. To each his or her own though...but I wouldn't mind a spray tan...if I could afford it. Damn economy.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    i used to do tanning beds but stopped since i didn't want a) skin cancer b) to waste anymore money c) to look old

now i'm just happy with the whiteness i am. but i do get a twinge of jealousy when i see nice tan legs! it takes me forever to tan and makes me a little angry that i'd have to fake tan to get that!

anywho...
  • LoveHoodies
    Options
    I'm so used to seeing the really ripped and buff dudes as really tan, then one day I found out why... there is a really ripped and buff dude at the gym I go to who is as pale as me (I slap on the 50-80spf every day). He looked silly :p
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    I'm so used to seeing the really ripped and buff dudes as really tan, then one day I found out why... there is a really ripped and buff dude at the gym I go to who is as pale as me (I slap on the 50-80spf every day). He looked silly :p

Like a ribbed condom?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either. orange is not supposed to be a skin color.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    We always knew tanning beds were a bad idea, but in the last couple of years info has come out to prove just how bad they really are. I'm surprised some nanny-state nutjob hasn't started a campaign to outlaw them yet. The only other legal thing more dangerous is cigarettes.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    the local tanning place by me runs a special 1 time a year. dollar a tan so I buy like 50 tans, and spread them out over the whole year. some days in the winter I go just to relax. I go about 8-10 minutes once a week or maybe twice a week if I have a bad week. it is relaxing and really I don't get "tan" from it. to me it is a small time of alone time in the warmth.

I know a waste if I don't get dark, but it is my relaxing time.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I refuse to tan in beds because of the health risk and also wear spf 30+ but admit to being jealous of tanned girls!
  • DownSheGoes
    Options
    Haha, I can't tan, even if I try. Even mid summer on the beach I'm the whitest person there (non-racial comment). I don't have a problem with other people tanning but I don't understand the concept of tanning beds because of the health risks, costs, etc.
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    kind of funny to me to run across this after tonight I just went and signed up for a months unlimited tanning..... lol
  • hml1976
    Options
    Well...I believe in sunshine and Vitamin D and make sure I get plenty but having watched three family members die from melanoma...I'm not pressing my luck by tanning.

Besides all I can think of when I'm lying there is "what if a light bulb explodes and sets this thing on fire?"
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either. My sister fake and baked all through her 20s and made fun of me for being "albino".

Now she's 30, has already had a skin cancer scare, and she looks like she's 40.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Tanning beds are actually addicting - like cigarettes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/health/22brod.html
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    spray tan all the way

Agreed!
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    GTL!! Seriously though, I get free tanning with my gym membership so I use it. I also get SAD so it helps on a cloudy cold day. Those are my reasons, anyway!