Nail biting

Options
I have a terrible habit of biting my nails, i have been biting my nails ever since i was little. I don't only bite the nail itself but also the skin around it. Does anybody have any ideas i could use to break the habit?

Replies

• LittleFootLT11
    Options
    Me too!! Bump, someone please help us!
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I get gel nails and that helps cuz you can't bite them. And because I am spending $$ on them I want to keep them nice. Theynlook great.
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat!!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    No, haha. I do the same. My mom tried the nasty tasting nail polish, etc. Nothing worked for me... Ive been biting my nails since I was 6, I'm 24. I don't see it stopping! For me, it's a nervous/anxious habit.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of biting my nails as well, and nothing really stopped it. I bite my nails when I'm bored or nervous, so I tend to bite them the most when I'm in classes or about to/am taking a test. I have anxiety, so when I was put on the medication, it stopped it for the most part. I was biting them to the point of bleeding and had Band-aids on my fingers all the time, usually on more than one.

It's really all about what works for you. Maybe try fake nails, or painting your nails? They might even have some cream or ointment that you can put on your hands to make them taste gross. Or you can use vinegar. There are a lot of standard ways that you can try to break the habit.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm a biter too. YIKES You'd think I would have broken the habit at my age!!

What are gel nails?
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Get a rubber band, put on your wrist and snap everytime you gind yourself doing it. It will help to become aware. Also there is a nail polish that tastes nasty that is for nail bitters. I don't know what its called but I'm sure you can find at any retailers.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    There's nasty tasting nail polish, you could put pepper juices on your fingers (just don't put your fingers in your eyes and be careful when you wipe. Um, ow). There are all sorts of weird ways to stop biting.

And then there are acrylic/gel/solar nails. If you bite them and they break, they hurt. More than your natural nail ever could.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Theres a nai polish called Nail Biter made by sally hansen.
    Or you can go to a CVS/Rite Aid and find "NO BITE"
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i bite the skin around my nails too, everytime my hubby sees me doing it he grabs and kisses my hand! but i still cant stop!
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have artificial nails--I still catch myself putting them in my mouth to bite, but I usually stop myself because it's not the same. They look good most of the time, but during REALLY stressful months they can look pretty raggedy !!
    :flowerforyou:
  • rhiannonchallans
    Options
    I was a compulsive nail biter all my life (to the point of chewing to the quick and bleeding/sore fingers) until I started getting acryllic nails. None of the home remedys (rubber band snapping, bad tasting etc) worked for me. 5 years down the track and I haven't looked back! I get pretty nails and don't feel compelled to chew them at all.

If only I could get acryllic lips to cure me of my dry lip picking habit (gross, I know) :(
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    i bite the skin around my nails too, everytime my hubby sees me doing it he grabs and kisses my hand! but i still cant stop!

My boyfriend always makes me aware of my nail biting. Whether it's by grabbing my hand or simply telling me to stop.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    From a stylist's offer of advice to try (but not guaranteed...works for some and not others) Apply cuticle soften around the nail and file all rough edges. Often it is the hard or jagged stuff being bitten off. Pop a lifesaver or something in when you start to bite if it is a nervous habit and obviously find something to keep hands busy when you notice. Good luck.
  • chrissygirl77
    Options
    Me too! If I don't have a set of nails on I will pick and pick and pick...not sure why i do it..but always have. I spose you could wear gloves with fingers for awhile to see if that helps break the habit. Put some lotion on first so your hands will be soft in the gloves too:)
  • 1petewest
    Options
    yep.. me too. i don't even realize i'm doing it most of the time. may well be the only bad habit i've got! i've tried everything i can think of too, help me too! :)
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    i use to be a terrible nail biter but one day i just decided to stop and since I absolutely hate nail clippers I just use a file. I still keep my nails somewhat short but they're thick and nice looking instead of all gnarled lol
  • shadykindoflady
    Options
    when i got my braces i stopped biting them for awhile but now i'm back to biting them again :cry:
  • Dylanzmom
    Options
    i have the same problem its an anxiety thing but i have learned that everytime i get my nails done, i dnt mess with them.. i would rather spend that money and have great looking nails..