HIIT training one day, run the next?

Options
Hi all. Thanks for looking. I'm on week 6, Day 3 of the C25K (25 minute run) and I was hoping to do some HIIT training (sprinting or hills) on my off days. I run MWF. Do you think that would be too much running or could I get away with it? I'm thinking about possibly a Tuesday Thursday Saturday HIIT schedule.

Also, does anyone know of a free app for HIIT for the ipod?

Replies

• MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I will be doing my W6D3 run tomorrow. I usually run Tues, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday depending on weekend plans. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do some form of HIIT. I usually do tabata intervals on Monday, HIIT strength workout on Wednesday and on Fridays I do suicides plus strength work during the "rest" period in between the suicide sets.

It has actually helped my running quite a bit and I have seen changes in my body like I never have before. Of course I am watching my calories and that plays a big part in the results I am seeing. I am at maintenance as I am not looking to lose weight. I have found that I really need to eat right to fuel my workouts so I can do them as hard as I can. I want to gain strength and endurance. I have never in my life been able to run and I can now. I attribute a lot of where I am now to the combination of the C25k and the training I do on my non running days.

I will say that probably after my run tomorrow I will take 2 days off of everything. My knees are needing a break from it all. A coupe of days off every few weeks might be a good thing.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Thanks for looking. I'm on week 6, Day 3 of the C25K (25 minute run) and I was hoping to do some HIIT training (sprinting or hills) on my off days. I run MWF. Do you think that would be too much running or could I get away with it? I'm thinking about possibly a Tuesday Thursday Saturday HIIT schedule.

Sprints & hills, anything high intensity takes a lot more out of your body and legs than regular steady away running. If you do it, listen to your body especially the day after, did you recover? Any niggles? Do your legs feel sluggish? Is your mood off? If so take it easy.

It's so easy as a beginning runner to over do things, too much too soon, you may carry it off especially if your young ish, but it can easily lead to injury and or lack of motivation.

Remember beginning is as much about conditioning your body to take the pounding of running as much as making your lungs work easier.

If it was me and I wanted to add another run or two I would add steady slow runs until I knew my body could cope with the volume, only then would I up the intensity and slowly!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you do it, listen to your body especially the day after, did you recover? Any niggles? Do your legs feel sluggish? Is your mood off? If so take it easy.
    Remember beginning is as much about conditioning your body to take the pounding of running as much as making your lungs work easier.
    If it was me and I wanted to add another run or two I would add steady slow runs until I knew my body could cope with the volume, only then would I up the intensity and slowly!

I agree with this - try 1-2 at first (don't set a full training regime), and see how your body feels. If you are still good after 2-3 weeks, and feel you can step it up to 2-3 times, go for it... but definitely take your time and be patient. You would hate for all the hard work to be put on hold because you injured yourself. Having said that... that doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it those 1-2 times a week! I love HIIT, and it helped bump me from 5k distance to 10mile (eventually). Good luck
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    thanks for your input everyone... i was a little concerned that it would be too much too fast and i certainly don't want to risk injury and slow my progress! i think i'll try a HIIT session saturday and see how it goes. i'll have sunday to recover and see how i feel by tuesday. :-)
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes! good luck
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options

I got a free HIIT android app called "HIIT Interval Training Timer". I would assume there's something similar for the ipod.