how do i ease back to exercising after surgery?

Options
It might be kind of early but i have so many questions!

I had surgery last week on tuesday and im not regreting it since i know it was needed but it couldnt have come at a worse time :( when i came out of surgery i was like 5lbs heavier than when i went in and im so bloated it isnt even funny!

Anyways, ive been taking it easy and trying to stay within my calorie limits but its so hard knowing i cant eat more without exercising. And IM FREAKING HUNGRY ALL THE TIME!!
Has anyone gone thru surgery and weight loss at the same time? i have so many questions! when is too soon to do anything? walk maybe? as much as i love my couch, i miss my bike and the fresh air and the high i get from working out :*(

Replies

• lanaholt
    Options
    First you need to follow your doctors recommendations when it comes to physical activity after surgery. I came back too soon to teaching aerobics after my knee surgery, re-injured myself and ended up with a second surgery. The entire ordeal was over about a year and I gained 15 pounds! After the 2nd surgery I was so depressed about not being able to be as physical as I wanted too I ate too much. So, it has been a long hard road getting my eating habits back in check. Be sure to eat very clean and follow your doctor's orders in terms of working out. Don't push it. If you have rehab exercises, be sure to do the homework they give you. Don't be lazy. =] Then you can come back healthy and ready to kick butt!
  • izesane
    Options
    As someone.e who has had numerous operations , I know how hard it is to get back into the swing of exercising , the best way I have found is to start small , maybe go for a walk , or a short bike ride to get back into swing of things without rthe high fish reinjury .
  • fas815
    Options
    I didn't hv surgery, but a couple of wks ago i was diagnosed as having a superficial blood clot in my leg. I have had to ease back into my walking and exercising. Just follow your doctors advice and you'll back to it in no time.
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    Options
    I just had rt. knee surgery 21 days ago. I know how U feel. I wanted to get back on the saddle again real fast, however that was not the case.......but first things first.... I totally agree w/ following the Dr. orders......I did what I was advised by the Dr......one day @ a time.........the Dr. knew my physical activities & informed me to eat as I did....HEALTHY.......BUT right after surgery I had difficulty w/ the anesthesia....could not eat for the first nine days...........I did not want to stay laid up in bed so I did my own physical therapy.......and WAH-LA.... 21 days later I am walking a whole hour (w/ my knee brace)......I wish you a speedy recovery & Take care....:flowerforyou:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR! I went back too fast after my sprained ankle this summer and STILL have problems with it. If it was arm surgery, you can do a lot of walking. If it was leg surgery, you can do stuff like yoga, boxing, kickboxing, etc. and just focus on arms. I did this at my gym with my arms and still got a good workout. Also, if you can, swimming is GREAT!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Worry about getting better. you can loose weight after that. Be good,