Low impact exercises.

Options
I have really bad knees and i have tried to do some exercises lately and it has hurt my knees and my ankles VERY badly. What do you recommend that is low impact?

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Expensive but worth every penny, check out CW-X pants. They support the knees making exercise a lot easier. My boyfriend has HORRIBLE knees and says it's a night and day difference when he puts them on. He even wears them under his slacks on days when they hurt too bad to do normal daily walking.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    swimming and cycling. i have horrible knees, but thanks to cycling i've really improved my cardio conditioning, and i've dropped the weight enough and rehabilitated my knee so that i can run 2-3 miles at a time without pain.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just checked out your page, and you might want to keep your cardio to a simple 20 minute walk until you drop about forty pounds. You can lift weights, but your weight-loss will come from your calorie restrictive diet. Once you've lost about forty pounds, it might be a little safer for you to do some low impact exercises. Yoga might work for you too.
  • dotmertsky
    Options
    swimming is low impact
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of suggestions... but what I can tell you from one Injured knee person to another... steer clear of 30 day shred. I'm in the last level and its KILLED my knees... great workout, but killer on the knees. :( Sorry I couldnt be more help.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/537338-low-impact-aerobic-exercise-for-bad-knees/

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/health/Good_Exercises_for_Bad_Knees.html

http://life.gaiam.com/article/best-cardio-exercises-bad-knees
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know that some other people have mentioned swimming, but I want to second (or third) it. It makes such a big difference to my weight loss (the pool was closed for a couple of weeks and despite doing other exercising I lost no weight- then it opened and I went right back to losing weight).
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I just checked out your page, and you might want to keep your cardio to a simple 20 minute walk until you drop about forty pounds. You can lift weights, but your weight-loss will come from your calorie restrictive diet. Once you've lost about forty pounds, it might be a little safer for you to do some low impact exercises. Yoga might work for you too.

Based on what, her weight? I'm down over 80 and still just over 20 pounds heavier than her and my workouts are measured in hours and have been for months now.
  • joborny
    Options
    I've had four knee surgeries in my life (sports in junior high and high school and a bad music festival experience just before college). I try to be very cautious about the strain I put on my knees these days. I used to run cross country in college; but I know that kind of running now will increase my risk of requiring knee replacement surgery in the future. I've found that circuit training, the elliptical, and sometimes just walking have been the best ways for me to see results without injuring myself. Oh, and I also take glucosamine chondroitin with msm and omega-3 to help with inflammation and to reinforce my cartilage.

When I got back into exercise, I started with low-impact walking. It was winter at the time, so I picked up Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home ( http://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sansone-Walk-Home-Burning/dp/B001F12ISU ). For a little fun, I did Richard Simon's Disco Sweat b/c he's all about low-impact. You feel like an idiot when you do it, but you end up laughing and having a bit of fun.

However, the workouts I love to do and that have given me marked results is a kind of circuit-style training. I try to combine strength, cardio, and compound moves. A good introduction to this type of exercise is Results Fitness: 10 Days to a Better Body with Cindy Whitmarsh ( http://www.amazon.com/Results-Fitness-Days-Better-Body/dp/B001F12IT4/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1316060709&sr=1-2 ). All of her moves start out low-impact. As you progress, you'll be able to do a lot of Bob Harper's Cardio Conditioning and Biggest Loser Cardio Max and have enough knowledge to modify your moves to keep them low-impact. Get a set of 2- or 3-lb weights and 8- or 10-lb weights and and exercise mat.

From there, I started writing my own workouts, switching exercises up every minute until it equals an hour to 90 minutes. Usually, I'll put on a movie and use the DVD player as the counter.

I haven't lost as much weight, but that's because I was a good weight to start. I have gained energy, cardio endurance, and stronger core and balance muscles. Really, I have maybe around 10 or so vanity pounds I want to lose, but I don't know that I'll ever get to that goal since I continue to gain muscle mass even as I lose fat. I have lost inches though.

My twin sister has gotten remarkable results using the elliptical at her gym. It's low impact and gets your cardio.

Water fitness is also low-impact. I taught a class in college, and it kept me in shape even despite my unhealthy habit of over-drinking a few nights a week.

I've found that yoga (used as a supplement to your actual workouts) has helped to strengthen the muscles around my joints.

Finally, another great source for cardio-burning exercises that are low-impact is from this lady's youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/QuickieChick

She also shows how you can sneak in exercise throughout the day.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Aqua Jogging is the way to go! I did 75 minutes of high intensity jogging/running today in the pool. I purchased my own aqua belt some time ago, but most pools will let you borrow one. If you want to do it regularly I recommend you get your own, because it will always be adjusted to you except when you need to tighten it ;) I have really bad ankles, so I can do as much running in water as I want and you also won't get any injuries like pulled muscles. I've previously lost alot of weight this way, and you can honestly just go and go and go in the water.

You need to adjust the belt tightly around your waist, and when you are in the pool make sure you can't touch the bottom and lean forward slightly and pedel your feet round and round like you're jogging or running. You should move forward. I don't use my arms, I just hold them together out in front of me - I get a better harder workout that way by making my feet do all the work, if you use your arms your feet won't work as hard but you can choose. It's easy and fun. Make sure you set a goal time for yourself to stay in the water and treat yourself at the end by sitting in the pools steam room or spa for a bit. That's always a good no calorie reward for me.
  • SaraBoyt
    Options
    thank you. i know that i am a big girl but even when i was 120 lbs i had bad knees.