My love, it's time to move on...

Options
We've been so long together, you and me. All those years ago, we were totally different.

You were curvy and sweet. You had a longish name. But you shortened it to a syllable - Coke. Oh lord how we indulged. It shameful. But we were shameless.

In the mid 70s I met your younger sister, Tab. Honestly, at first she was like flavored cold medicine. But, in my head, I knew she was better for me at that time. We had a couple good years. And I even got used to how she was and preferred it. Compared to the way we'd been, she was like Cola and you had been like drinking pancake syrup.

Then, you came back. You had re-made yourself, learned from the past, seen the future for us. You changed your name. Sweetest name - musical - Diet Coke. Oh, how we fell back in love! Inseparable, destined, star-crossed. I was a love affair for the ages. As timeless as Romeo and Juliette, except no one dies and everyone can understand it without the footnotes. We had decades together in harmony.

But, my love, nothing is forever. And, not to be trite, but it's not you. It's me. I've changed. And I've fallen in love again. I know I swore that to you. And, I would give anything to stand by that promise. But, I need her now. Her name is water. And, we're just better for each other.

I hope we can still be friends. Maybe even hang out with a slice of pizza now and then, for old time's sake. But, I'll understand whatever you decide.

Friendship always,

Brett

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    How touching...

*a single tear falls for Diet Coke*
  • nowic
    nowic Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    lol- loved this!! And I am an ex- coke-aholic too :) Its better that way ;)
  • Incunabulum
    Options
    I LOLed. Bravo.
  • KitCatMcG
    KitCatMcG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sooooo funny!! You have made my day!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Love this. . .Well water is grinning. . and diet coke is crying. . but sometimes breaking up is just hard to do, but "life goes on". .
  • christinalm84
    Options
    I have tried so hard but can't give up my diet coke...drinking one as I type this!
  • nikki_1979
    Options
    "It's not you, it's me"

How could you do that to diet coke?? She'll never recover! <stops mock indignation>

Very cute, i loved it!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I had broken up with Coke to be with Iced Tea because I thought that he will be better for me but guess what, I was wrong! I found out that Iced Tea is such a sweet jerk too like Coke. So from the years we've been together, my waistline ballooned & people thought I was pregnant but I'm not. Because of him, I became diabetic. I couldn't stand it anymore! As much as I don't like to but I had to end my love affair with Iced Tea last year because I found someone better again, his name is Water. He maybe not too sweet but he's definitely charming, refreshing & delicious also but what's most important is he made me feel better both inside & out. I'm so happy to finally found "The One". :wink:
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hilarious!!
  • CBKMom
    CBKMom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also am an ex-diet cokeaholic...so I loved this! With the exception of one can at the end of June after staying up for over 24 hours, I have been diet coke free since March 6th. Actually I have not had any pop/soda except that one since that time! My love is now ice water!
  • vikiwhite
    vikiwhite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to break up with diet coke, I am having an affair with water though and find I spend alot more time with him than I do with Diet Coke:laugh:
  • LIndabuskin
    Options
    So funny:laugh:
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I broke up with Coke and then fell in love with a sweetened iced tea! Ugh! Now, I need to break that off. :brokenheart:
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Well written!

I've slipped away from sodas too. To be honest, I can't think of the last time I had a sweet soda... I've had many many diet sodas, and though I like them, they just don't make sense financially. I figure without them I'm that much richer and that much less filled with chemicals.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to break up with diet coke, I am having an affair with water though and find I spend alot more time with him than I do with Diet Coke:laugh:

HAHA!!! love it!
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    Dear Mr. Diet Coke (and your oh so charming friends),

While you may have been quite interesting, at one time, after reading this "studies have found that people who drink diet sodas actually weigh more — and have waistlines that are 70 percent larger — than those who don't" I don't want you in my life any more!
  • ItsMeMaryW
    ItsMeMaryW Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have been having a "thing" with water for years. We were happy for years but you know how it is, we got bored. So we have accepted another into our relationship....MiO Liquid....It's spiced up our relationship and now we are very happy again! :heart:
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Oh! You little three-way pirate, you! LOL
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Wow, you really played Coke for a fool! You left her for her more young and appealing sister, then took her back after she lost some weight, then left her again for a slimmer girl?? *tsk* *tsk* Not very nice! Although I've heard that Coke sleeps around a lot, so I guess she was kind of asking for it. :D