Weight training and yoga

Options
Just curious if anyone else had an experience like this.

I got a personal trainer, and started weight training. My goal was to gain strength, and I was pretty weak at first. Still not where I want to be, but making gains.

Two problems. One, my balance is poo and every time my trainer wants me to stand on one leg I about fall down. Two, and this one has been the worst, I have been having some issues with strain injuries in the front of my hips from lifting. This kind of perplexed the whole weight training side of the house. There was collaboration about what could have happened anatomically, and trying to determine what stretches I could do for it. They came up with one or two stretches, which I have been doing and they have been helping some.

Then, my balance problems came enough to light that my trainer recommended I take a yoga class. So I did. I had never taken one before.

I already knew that I didn't know anything about yoga so might have some problems understanding all of the instruction, and I almost fall down when I try to stand on one leg, so those things didn't come as a surprise. What did come as a surprise was what happened to my hip muscles when I took yoga.

I felt all my hip muscle pain and tension melt away in an hour, and walked out of there with what felt like totally new hips.

I am totally grateful that I found that, but of course I have questions like, is it normal? Did it happen to anyone else? Or does anyone else supplement weight training with yoga for more good reasons?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to your opinions.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone else had an experience like this.

I got a personal trainer, and started weight training. My goal was to gain strength, and I was pretty weak at first. Still not where I want to be, but making gains.

Two problems. One, my balance is poo and every time my trainer wants me to stand on one leg I about fall down. Two, and this one has been the worst, I have been having some issues with strain injuries in the front of my hips from lifting. This kind of perplexed the whole weight training side of the house. There was collaboration about what could have happened anatomically, and trying to determine what stretches I could do for it. They came up with one or two stretches, which I have been doing and they have been helping some.

Then, my balance problems came enough to light that my trainer recommended I take a yoga class. So I did. I had never taken one before.

I already knew that I didn't know anything about yoga so might have some problems understanding all of the instruction, and I almost fall down when I try to stand on one leg, so those things didn't come as a surprise. What did come as a surprise was what happened to my hip muscles when I took yoga.

I felt all my hip muscle pain and tension melt away in an hour, and walked out of there with what felt like totally new hips.

I am totally grateful that I found that, but of course I have questions like, is it normal? Did it happen to anyone else? Or does anyone else supplement weight training with yoga for more good reasons?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to your opinions.
    Is your trainer having you train on unstable surfaces? Bosu, stability ball, balance boards, etc. If they do, then you need to ask them to stop and have you do solid surface training. In yoga you don't use unstable surfaces.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Hi there!
    I actually used to practice Bikram yoga and have tried other forms of yoga. Bikram is in a hot room with humidity. It is REALLY tough (and expensive), but I was in the best shape and felt amazing. I have a bulging disc and the disc slips causing a lot of pain. When I do yoga, I don't have issues with my back nearly as much. It is common from my experience. Yoga helps me relax and meditate. Just practicing the amount of time that I did, I learned a little about the poses and how they benefit me. When I have a particular ailment, I do the poses that I know might help it and it always seems to help.

Hope this feedback helps! Good luck with your goals! :happy:
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Niner, she has only been having me do upper body and abs while reclined on the bosu or stability ball lately. Do you think I should stop that too?

Cherry, thanks. I may try the hot Bikram, but I am not sure I will like the hot room. I can only stay in the sauna a few minutes.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    It's definitely not for everyone. Every single one of my friends that I brought as a guest never returned. :ohwell:
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Yoga+weighttraining = AWESOME!! It is a great mix because flexibilty is important. If I were you, I would go at least once a week, that is my non proffesional opinion. Keep up the great work!
  • jujulou
    Options
    Hi, don't know about your balance issue but think yoga will really help you. Yoga for me has improved my posture and a friend had really deep shoulder pain and thats gone away too. I have found an intense programme for yoga which makes you sweat buckets.
    Keep practicing as you'll be amazed how flexible you become too. When I dried my hair yesterday, I through my head down and nearly hit my head on my knees!!! And thats only after 2 months.
    Enjoy!
  • BeverageTreats
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Crystal, there is one I should be able to make it to every week, but unfortunately it's between two lift days and after I train again everything tightens back up. :) There is another I should be able to make it to some weeks.

Juju, good to know, I have terrible posture as well haha.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I would also add my support for yoga. Three months ago I was suffering from severe back pain (caused by a severely impinged sciatic nerve), and it was only through a combination of physio, deep tissue therapy and yoga that I am now essentially pain free and at my most flexible ever! I still struggle with the sciatic pain, but that's a different matter. The yoga, especially the stretches that really get into my butt and lower back, has helped so much.
  • BeverageTreats
    Options
    I tried to do yoga right after weights on Saturday, that did not go too well. :)

I think I will try this schedule for a couple weeks and see how it goes:

Monday weights
    Tuesday yoga
    Wednesday rest
    Thursday weights
    Friday rest
    Saturday weights
    Sunday rest

I also either bike or walk at least two miles on weekdays. On rest days I may also swim, or warm up and then do a bunch of stretching.

How does that look? The idea is I would at least have all day Wednesday to enjoy the benefits of the yoga before tightening it up with weights again.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love to do both weight training and yoga as a part of my overall fitness plan. It makes sense that your hip pain went away - many yoga postures are great for dealing with hip tightness. :) I'm glad you liked it!