Working through an injury question.

Options
Quick question: Today I got a small shoulder joint injury during my first day of level 2 30ds. I stopped using weights and concentrated on cardio, but can I work out with weights tomorrow? Should I modify the program, delay it, go back to a modified level one until I'm better (since I know that level and what to expect)? I have never had an injury before. I am doing a lot of stretching and using heat today, anything else?

Replies

• jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    when my daughter suffered a knee injury doing 30DS, we used ice and ibuprofen. She avoided movements that aggravated it in any way, replacing them with moves that she knew didn't hurt.

I always believed ice for a fresh injury, 10min on, 20min off, for the 1st 24 hrs, to help with swelling and pain. Then apply heat to increase blood flow to speed healing.

Talk to your doc if it really hurts or doesn't get better soon with proper care. Shoulders are nothing to mess with!
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Do you strengthen your rotator cuff? Best not to mess with and injury so give it time to heal.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you aren't sure exactly what you've done, it might be better to just rest for a few daysand don't stretch it, you might cause more damage.

If it doesn't settle down soon, get it checked out by a doctor or physiotherapist who can give you specific advice for your particular injury.
  • ladysandy
    Options
    Well I'm thinking since it's a shoulder like you say, you can go on doing only the cardio movement on level 2 and when you do the plangs just get on your knees and try not to add to much strenght on your shoulders,... The idea here is that you can still move without hurting yourself more. You know your body, you know until what point you can get to. I had an injury also last week, just massaged it, went in my hot-tub a couple of times and again massaged it. When I was doing my 30ds I new that I couldn't go as far for a movement and I just didn't go as far! I'm okay this week!