Protein Shakes making you feel tired?

FemininGuns
FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
edited October 2 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone else has a possible correlation with sleepiness and ingesting protein shakes? I have eliminated shakes from my diet, I normally ingest them for snacks in the morning and afternoon. I now eat nuts for snacks (which I always did before) and also some veggies with hummus. Since I haven't used the shake mix (probably about 1.5 weeks now), I have noticed that I don't feel as tired as I did the previous weeks. I am just wondering if anyone else has the same reaction or has heard of anything like it... Any information would be appreciated.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    it could be possible you have a slight lactose intolerance
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    I think it depends on the brand, I've tried several before settling down with ON Pro Complex, from time to time I found the higher carb level of some of the shakes did give me that crash.
  • aliceguy
    aliceguy Posts: 128 Member
    sorry to say that I have protein shakes, mixed with water, very often and feel no difference when off or on them. Although I do agree they make me feel fuller
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    I'd suggest trying a different protein shake and see if you get the same results. Because they certainly aren't all made equal. Can't paint them all with the broad brush. IE the local convenience store sells "protein shakes" that have as many carbs (or more) than they do protein. My home-made protein shakes with either hemp protein or whey protein have near 0 for sugars depending on what I flavour with that day. Raspberries, vanilla powder, cinnamon....
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Thanks for your input... I use ALLMAX ISOFLEX... And mis it with water...
  • boysandb
    boysandb Posts: 11 Member
    I have been using Jay Robbs chocolate protein powder ( delicious) mixed with water and one banana plus a Tbs of natural PB, or almond butter and I do seem to have an issue with sleepiness about 4-5 hours after drinking it. Not sure why. Have tested it on an empty stomach and not so emty and it does the same thing. Very strange.
This discussion has been closed.