What should I eat before working out at 5 am?

Options
2»

Replies

• sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything, i may sip some water, but outside of that, nada
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5 am as well. I don't eat beforehand because it makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach, plus, as you said, I don't want to wake up at 4 just to eat! It has been working just fine for me!
    ^^^^^This... I don't eat before because I don't have time for it to settle and it makes me feel sick. I actually exercise, grab my coffee, shower, get ready, then get breakfast. You have to do what is best for you.
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't eat anything before I work out in the morning. I've heard it helps you burn off your fat stores faster. If your body is burning your fat stores, instead of the breakfast you just ate, you're bound to lose more, right? Makes sense to me. And I don't feel sick if I don't eat anything first. I prefer it that way. But I have also heard that if you do need to eat before you work out, you should eat a banana. It has just the right amount of energy to get you through a work out.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Before I embark on a morning run I drink some water and eat either a banana, an apple or a Clif Bar Mini. Each is about 100 calories and gets me through my morning workout.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have coffee same as most everyone on this post. I have breakfast at 8:30 after I get to work. I also have a snack (yogurt, popcorn, skinny cow ice cream, trail mix) every night before I go to bed.

It works for me, but it took a couple of weeks to get into the swing. I also drink water (one bottle) during my workouts which are 10 minutes x 5.

Good luck with your new schedule. I love my morning workouts, especially the weighted ones before getting ready for work. Love the endorphins!
  • cstein71
    cstein71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 mornings a week at 5am and get sick if I eat that early but have to have my coffee to get me going. I then try to eat some protein right when I get home and will then eat something like a banana mid morning if work allows.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to run or work out early in the day (before 8-9am or so) I won't eat but I do have coffee with cream and sugar when I get up at 6am so I've ingested some calories. I'll also plan by eating a carb-heavy meal the night before whereas I'll go easier on the carbs on the eve of a rest day. If my workout is closer to 9am or I've been up for more than 2 hours or so, I'll eat an ounce of almonds. Nice big whack of calories and fiber but without feeling heavy in my stomach.
  • lokin4deer
    lokin4deer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am up at 4am and at the gym at 5 when it opens. My breakfast is either a cup of high fiber and high protein cereal and a cup of skim milk or a chicken wrap. I am work at 6 sometime around 8 I will have either almonds or peanut butter and celery. I am one of those people that food has never bothered me no matter what I had to do after. LOL thats why I needed MFP to begin with : ) I do love my AM workout though there is nothing that gets in my way at 5am!
  • losingitinca
    losingitinca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work out at 4:30am with nothing but a glass of water. That works for me.