Plateau. Help?

Options
Okay, so I have been sailing through this whole thing pretty easily for quite some time. I began in March at around 1490 calories a day and have slowly decreased up until this point. I began at 253 and am now at 211. I've lost 42 pounds, but I have been stuck at 211 for almost two weeks now. I'm eating about 1200 calories a day and have just added exercise to my regimen three times a week. Am I just being impatient? I'm really feeling like it's going nowhere at all. Have any of you gone through this? What can be done to jumpstart my weightloss and get back to that awesome 1-2 lbs a week?

Replies

• sunshineshica
    Options
    you might need to boost your exercising or put more veggies into your diet.
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    In a word, yes, you are being impatient.

Everyone plateaus, it's part of the weight loss process. When you do, you change something up and power through it.

Plateauing happens because the human body is incredible at getting used to something. It's gotten used to what you're doing. Change it.

If you're doing cardio, start some strength training, or add some calories to your diet. (Yes, you can sometimes lose weight by adding calories.)

Most of all, don't stress out.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I have been dealing with a Plateau FROM HELL too...

So yesterday I wrote all my calories on a real calendar (per day) and realized I was over in my calories....:(

NOT saying this is your case, I was just shocked for myself :-0

There is a website called fit2fatradio.com which talks about all the ups and downs of losing weight..

Good luck!

E
  • megsie25
    Options
    Maybe switching up your calories daily, one day net 800 and the next 1400 so your body doesn't adapt. Only an idea I've heard from reading these forums... I don't actually know if it works.

Also now that you've started working out maybe your gaining muscle which weighs more than fat but takes up less room in your body. Have your measurements changed?
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Make sure you net the 1200 calories after exercise. I have plateau'd twice and increasing my calories has helped both times.
  • latonya30294
    Options
    I would suggest HIIT training. It will boost your fat loss in a matter of weeks. You can start on the treadmill or elliptical at a moderate pace for about 2min, then excelerate your pace to a speed that is uncomfortable...for instance...for me I will warm up for 3 min at 3.2 and then start a power walk (slight jog for me ) at 4.0 for one minute and then go down to 3.5 for two minutes. i do this cycle for 6 times and then I cool down for 3 min back at 3.2.. Try it...you will be amazed at how quickly the fat melts off of you!!!
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'd try eating a couple hundred more calories a day and drink lots of water. Also watch the sodium. It happens to all of us, just keep plugging away and don't give up! You're doing a great job!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You are doing a good job. Yes, you might be a little impatient. From what I read, a plateau lasts months not weeks so it's too early to tell. Keep up the good work. If you are in a plateau due to dieting, the addition of exercise should get you going again.

Remember muscle is more dense than fat so you may not lose weight on the scale, but your body shape may be changing. If clothes are becoming more loose than before you first started working out and you weighed the same, then you know you are on the right track.

Sounds like you are doing well. Again, keep up the awesome job!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Make sure you net the 1200 calories after exercise. I have plateau'd twice and increasing my calories has helped both times.

I agree. I only plateaued once but increasing my calories got the scale moving again. I was eating 1200 when I plateaued, I upped it to 1400 with no change, and at 1600 started losing again. Good luck, I know it is frustrating, but keep at it, tweak your routine, and the scale will start moving again.