HRM question - How often do you...?

Since HRM calculate your calories burned using the weight that you input, and the amount of calories burned goes down as you lose weight, after how many pounds lost do you go in and change the settings on your HRM?

I'm currently at 5 lbs below what my HRM has me as, and I'll probably change it after I drop a couple more.

How about you?

Replies

• scottppa
    scottppa Posts: 31 Member
    I weigh in every Friday and then adjust my HRM.
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    The lighter you are, the less calories you burn. MFP lowers your burn for each pound lost that you register. So if you are 5 lb lighter than your HRM thinks, you are not getting an accurate reading.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    I change mines just over 5 pounds maybe at 7 or 8...when I know I am actually keeping the 5 off and heading to the next 10 :)!!!
  • It's probably ideal to update it to keep it as accurate as possible.. Otherwise you might be getting incorrect calorie burns which could effect you if you're eating back exercise calories?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I change it every pound I lose.

I'm not as diligent when I'm gaining, since it would underestimate if I put in less than I actually weigh, but I'm as accurate as I can be if I lose weight.

But I only weigh myself once a week and use that as my weight until the following week. I wouldn't bother changing it daily or anything.
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    about every 2 pounds for me it makes me work harder to try to reach the same calorie burn
  • My HRM, the Polar FT40, makes me update it weekly.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    i change mine everytime i weigh in and the weight changes, loss or gain.
  • sylouette98
    sylouette98 Posts: 65 Member
    Oh shoot!!!! Thanks for posting this! I completely forgot about updating my weight stats in my HRM! I need to do that tonight before I work out. I'm going to make it a weekly practice...weigh in and change HRM stats.
  • drjennelle
    drjennelle Posts: 138 Member
    Oh shoot!!!! Thanks for posting this! I completely forgot about updating my weight stats in my HRM! I need to do that tonight before I work out. I'm going to make it a weekly practice...weigh in and change HRM stats.

i was just about to post the same thing!! thank you :) it completely slipped my mind to even adjust my weight in my HRM! :) silly me! ;)
  • I do it when I remember to! I think a weekly update would be a good idea though...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I don't always remember to update it as I lose but usually it's within 2-3 pounds when I get around to it.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Yeah I would say once per month, or more frequently if you are losing a lot quicker.

Good luck x