When to weigh...

Options
I usually weigh myself right away in the morning even before the morning coffee. For the BL challenge I have noticed people will do a last chance workout before weigh in. What does everyone do and have you found something that works best?

Replies

• gmpearse
    gmpearse Posts: 136
    Options
    I usually weigh myself right away in the morning even before the morning coffee. For the BL challenge I have noticed people will do a last chance workout before weigh in. What does everyone do and have you found something that works best?
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    For me that last chance work out is the night before I weigh in.

I always weigh in first thing in the am. If you do do a morning work out you can weigh your self after that, but depending on how much you sweat and how much you drink, your weight will vary.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I do first thing in the morning
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As long as you weigh in at the exact same time, once a week, it doesn't really matter what time of day. You should just try to keep it consistent from week to week.

For me, the morning works best!
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I do first thing in the morning

DITTO :flowerforyou:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I worked my butt off last night on my LAST CHANCE workout.....then shaved and exfoliated and everything else I could think of! LOL
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I do it first thing in the morning, after my first potty break of the day :)
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I worked my butt off last night on my LAST CHANCE workout.....then shaved and exfoliated and everything else I could think of! LOL

LOL I'll have to remember that next time, every little bit helps!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    As an example of how much weight you can lose from a "last chance" workout:

When I woke up this morning, I weighed 137.5
    After a 25-minute brisk walk uphill , and a 10-minute run, I weighed 136.5
    Then, I went to the bathroom, and after that, I weighed 136.0

Well, I did record the 136.0 today... It makes me feel good!
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Wake up and weigh in... that's how I do it. :wink:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I always gain weight after my workout so I weigh in first thing when I wake up. Tracking the numbers I noticed I gain anywhere from 2 to 3 pounds AFTER working out. I think it's got something to do with water retention. HAHA.

Anyway, the best time to weigh will depend on your body I guess. So figure out what works best for you but as others said make sure when you choose a time that you stick to it. :happy:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    As an example of how much weight you can lose from a "last chance" workout:

When I woke up this morning, I weighed 137.5
    After a 25-minute brisk walk uphill , and a 10-minute run, I weighed 136.5
    Then, I went to the bathroom, and after that, I weighed 136.0

Well, I did record the 136.0 today... It makes me feel good!

Here's the thing with that. If you drink a couple of glasses of water you will gain that back. The only way to really loss a pound and a half from a work out is if you burned over 5000 calories during the work out. Now if you always weigh your self after a workout you will be fine, but by chance you don't get a work out in you will be disappointed. I always weigh myself the night before my weigh in and always "lose" 3 to 6 pounds over night. Now I really don't "lose" that much weight over night, but my body dehydrates through sweating and breathing.

The main thing for you to remember is to weigh in exactly the same everytime for more accuracy.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I always gain weight after my workout so I weigh in first thing when I wake up. Tracking the numbers I noticed I gain anywhere from 2 to 3 pounds AFTER working out. I think it's got something to do with water retention. HAHA.

Anyway, the best time to weigh will depend on your body I guess. So figure out what works best for you but as others said make sure when you choose a time that you stick to it. :happy:

lol I would definately quit working out then:laugh: You probably drink more water than you sweat out, which is what you should do. Drink some for me too.:drinker:
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    Here's the thing with that. If you drink a couple of glasses of water you will gain that back. The only way to really loss a pound and a half from a work out is if you burned over 5000 calories during the work out. Now if you always weigh your self after a workout you will be fine, but by chance you don't get a work out in you will be disappointed. I always weigh myself the night before my weigh in and always "lose" 3 to 6 pounds over night. Now I really don't "lose" that much weight over night, but my body dehydrates through sweating and breathing.

The main thing for you to remember is to weigh in exactly the same everytime for more accuracy.

I know I didn't lose 1.5 lbs of fat. And honestly, I don't care. I'm recording the lower weight anyway! Accuracy, schmaccuracy. What matters is the trend line. Not any specific weigh-in.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    According to my readings, first thing in the am is best. When I went to the gym, they said to never weigh yourself after you work out, always before if anything. Night time adds on a good 3-4 lbs for sure.
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    It's never going to be truly consistent unless you have the same amount of food going through your bowels on every morning of the weigh-in. So does "first thing in the morning" mean after moving said bowels? What if you can't? What if you only can after exercise?

So, like I said, I don't think it really matters. Whatever makes you happy and keeps you from getting discouraged. All that matters is that the trend over time is not upward.
  • suprjewels
    Options
    I weigh in mornings. I will have to try the exfoliating next time and shaving. I thought about cutting my nails and thought no I'm going over board. Now I know I should have, I'm just fitting in.:laugh:
    I weighed after working out last night before bed. Then this morning. I lost over 4 lbs sleeping.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    It's never going to be truly consistent unless you have the same amount of food going through your bowels on every morning of the weigh-in. So does "first thing in the morning" mean after moving said bowels? What if you can't? What if you only can after exercise?

So, like I said, I don't think it really matters. Whatever makes you happy and keeps you from getting discouraged. All that matters is that the trend over time is not upward.

Sorry, we weren't trying to attack the way you do it. I just wanted the person to know all the if's, ands and buts. And I typically do eat the same thing every week the day before weigh in so that it can be as consistant as possible. And I never pooh before weigh in because I never do first thing in the morning.

But really as long as you are consistant it don't matter what you do.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options

Sorry, we weren't trying to attack the way you do it. I just wanted the person to know all the if's, ands and buts. And I typically do eat the same thing every week the day before weigh in so that it can be as consistent as possible. And I never pooh before weigh in because I never do first thing in the morning.

But really as long as you are consistent it don't matter what you do.

That tweber0976 is so cute!

I agree with the consistency. And don't worry about the poop factor too much. lol If you do it consistently before or after, it shouldn't matter. :wink:

And thanks for the compliment.