Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I have a hrm and just curious if i'm doing things right? i am unable to go for walks outside because of various things, and cannot affort a treadmill....so i put on some kind of tv show and walk in place at a brisk pace...sometimes with weights. my hrm said i "walked" two miles yesterday and burned a little over 300 calories. It is one that i put my height, weight, age...ect. Just wondering if this is an ok type of excercise,

Replies

• Jelleebean
    Options
    alot of people will say, every little bit counts... and i'd have to agree... if you're not sure about the 'walking in place'... try jumping jacks, or if you have the space, jumping rope...
    if you have a walk through kitchen, or an area in your space to 'do laps'.. sure it'll be not very scenic, but, do that for half an hour or so... :)
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! You're moving, and that's a lot better than not moving at all!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Sounds just great to me especially if that is what you are able to do. Have you thought about some exercise DVDs? I have bought some great ones off Amazon a few months ago: 30 Day Shred and some Biggest Loser ones. Good luck to you!!
  • warneg
    warneg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So I'm no expert for sure, but I used to use Richard Simmons (back when there were vhs), and I felt like I was doing a WORKOUT. It was fun, too, because he seemed to make it that way. I don't know why walking indoors like that would be bad, if you are getting up and doing something, anything, that should count.
  • repip
    Options
    This isn't an answer to your question... but I have a question of my own. What kind of HRM did you purchase? Are you happy with it? I am looking for one but I don't know the first thing about what to buy.
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    I have Leslie Sansone walk at home video's, I also get the free stuff of from on demand! =)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's a whole workout program focused on walking in place - the Walk Away The Pounds exercise DVDs by Leslie Sansome. If you're interested, they sell them at WalMart at a decent price.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    That is good that you are trying what you can do. Videos/DVD's have great motivation for when you just don't have it. I suggest you also possibly get a mini trampoline. I had spent many hours in the dead of winter, in front of the morning news, going as fast as I could on it (I think it can be a little easier on the joints). I have bought a jump rope I plan to use in the winter also. You Can Do It!
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    This isn't an answer to your question... but I have a question of my own. What kind of HRM did you purchase? Are you happy with it? I am looking for one but I don't know the first thing about what to buy.

the HRM I bought is one for walking because thats what I do the most of. It's called Smart Health for Walking....heart rate moinitor, watch & step counder All In One!! So far I am very happy with it. I compared the results to those on mfp for walking 2.0 mph, and they are pretty close!!!
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    There's a whole workout program focused on walking in place - the Walk Away The Pounds exercise DVDs by Leslie Sansome. If you're interested, they sell them at WalMart at a decent price.

Lol, I do those also, I bought a bunch off from amazon, the two mile, walk away the pounds, the one that is 5 miles that does 1 mile a day!!!!
  • repip
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'll look into that. It sounds like a good one for me. I'm a beginner at this whole thing.
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'll look into that. It sounds like a good one for me. I'm a beginner at this whole thing.

it was on clearance at TJ Max so I said what the hell may as well try it!!
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advice!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    LOL! Oops, guess I took to long to type my response! Anyway, I was also going to say, pretty much anything you do in the beginning is good. And the more you do something you truly enjoy and feel comfortable with, the more likely you're going to stick with it and that's what's really important.

The only tip I'd throw in the mix is to make sure you challenge yourself as you go along...kind of like what you're already doing with the weights. Keep thinking of things you can do to mix up the workout every few months because the body will stop responding to activity when it becomes routine. Maybe check out other workout DVDs throught your library or On Demand if you have it. You can also Google "at home workouts" and get several ideas.