Dealing with cravings...

Options
Hello all,

We all have cravings for things; with me it's fizzy drinks such as coke and mountain dew, others chocolate, crisps etc etc.

My question is, how do you deal with cravings? I've only just started dieting and I'm already craving a can of coke :P.

Cheers!

Replies

• mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate all the time. I've learned that cutting something out totally can backfire on you. So I keep dark chocolate in my house but, out of site. About once a week I break of a piece & enjoy it.
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I still dont have my cravings under control . Mine consume me once they get going. Its like I have no control over them. I find mine are kept at bay when I eat regular small meals. That stops them coming daily. I never go too long without eating, or having a snacks such as nuts/low carb snacks etc. However the more aggressive cravings I get...well they are still a work in progress. I find that having one piece of chocolate etc, leads to an all day binge, it spirals out of control, so I avoid them altogether to the very best I can.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I still dont have my cravings under control . Mine consume me once they get going. Its like I have no control over them. I find mine are kept at bay when I eat regular small meals. That stops them coming daily. I never go too long without eating, or having a snacks such as nuts/low carb snacks etc. However the more aggressive cravings I get...well they are still a work in progress. I find that having one piece of chocolate etc, leads to an all day binge, it spirals out of control, so I avoid them altogether to the very best I can.

Yeah thats what I fear, that once I have that can of coke, I'll have a few more and then my dieting plan will be a complete fail :(
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I let myself have things when I crave. Otherwise I would just go crazy..if it is chocolate..I have some Skinny Cow chocolates (which are fabulous by the way) and they are only 120 calories. When I crave things...I try to think of healthy substitutes for those things...good luck!
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I know I can't have things that I will binge on in the house. If I have to go to the store to get it, I will be less likely to do so. For me, I struggle with the triggers for the cravings. If I get stressed, I want to stuff things in my mouth. So, it helps me to focus on my triggers, not necessarily when I'm feeling the bear in me emerge, but at times when I can reflect calmly on the emotional aspects of my eating. On the physical side, I find that when I have a heavy carb diet (starting with bagels in the morning, sandwich at lunch, pasta at dinner) I would kill for sweets. Since I've gone gluten free, I have had practically no cravings for sugar. Everyone's chemistry is different I suppose! But you might want to try starting your morning with protein, if you don't already and see if it has an impact on your desire for sweets.
  • zaiikaa
    zaiikaa Posts: 112
    Options
    I have cravings all the time, and I've been at this for four months now.

I keep them in check by having just a little of what I'm craving. If I cut myself off completely, I'll end up on a binge. Chocolate is my craving, so I keep dark chocolate hershey kisses in the freezer. I don't really like dark chocolate (whereas I love milk chocolate), so the dark chocolate fulfils my craving but doesn't make me want to eat the whole bag. Maybe you could try to find a close substitute for whatever you're craving--buy those mini cans of soda, or sub a diet soda when you need a treat. I eat chocolate every day, sometimes twice a day. And I'm almost at my goal weight! :-)
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    GAHH, should I risk getting a single can?! :x
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    GAHH, should I risk getting a single can?! :x
    Depending on you goals, yes. Just include the calories in budget.

You can also buy a can, pour half into a glass and half down the drain. That's going to be counter-intuitive to most people, and will probably add a bit of negative reinforcement to the whole experience which might help you avoid the craving next time.

You also may just be craving caffeine. If that's the case, black coffee or tea will satisfy that without calories.
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I slowly cut down on how much I would allow myself to have. each making it less. The only thing that makes me fail is saying no all together. So far it has worked. I hardly crave junk and when I do I have it and hardly finish it. No real desire anymore.