How to lose on a budget?

Options
Hello,

I recently started myfitnesspal and I seem to struggle every so often because I'm low on funds. Do you guys have any tips for low calorie cost-saving meals for inside or outside the home?

Thanks so much!

Sandy

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    a chicken breast with veggies is always good .... .mix it up with different seasonings :wink:

edit: I also encourage you to look at cooking light or poor girl eats well (it's a website/blog)
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It sounds too simple to work, but just meal plan. My husband and I only spend 60 bucks a week on groceries and I still buy fruits and vegetables. Every Sunday I go through the kitchen and look at what we have and build meals off of that and then go buy the stuff we need to complete them. When you have your meals planned out and a very detailed list you tend to spend less at the store. I have gotten a lot of menu ideas from WW when I was on their site, but if you just google WW reciepes there are a ton that people have posted that you don't have to pay for.
    Good Luck!!
  • buttahbaby
    buttahbaby Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump :0)
  • sproutypc
    Options
    I find myself struggling with the same things. If it's cheap, it usually isn't healthy! What I TRY to do is, just eat smaller portions of stuff that may not be so good for you. I am usually feeding 5 people on about $80 a week, and in that budget there just isn't much room for fresh fruits and veggies.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I like to take different meats and then experiment with different kinds of rubs, seasonings and marinades. Then, I serve it with veggies and sometimes a little bit of brown rice. Super inexpensive! I'm broke as hell, so I have to do things on the cheap and workout on the cheap as well.
  • stanchfielda
    Options
    Hi Sandy!

I am in the same boat as you :-) I have found that chicken is definitely a good way to go! I know fresh veggies are supposed to be better for you then frozen but those can be a bit cheaper too- AND they will last longer. I also will make homemade soups, like a veggie soup or chicken veggie. Those are low cost, low calorie (esp. if you stay away from cream based soups) and you get a few meals out of it! Good luck!!

Ashley
  • brenda_allport
    Options
    The best thing I could do for my family when my husband and I were both out of work was couponing and meal planning. He wasn't always happy with the plans I had for dinner (as they were always healthy choices!!) but when I was spending $30 for 2 weeks worth of groceries he got over it. When it comes to meat buy in bulk if you can. It may seem a bit expensive at the time but in the long run you will saver hundreds of dollars and there is usually at least one store around that has chicken buy one get one free.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Sandy-that is very hard to do sometimes. Unfortunately, in most cases, the foods that are bad for you are cheaper (like if you go out to eat it's so much cheaper to get a burger than a salad). I think that one thing is that you have to realize that the healthier foods and the mentality of healthier foods is that you need less of it!? Just a thought. Apples are one of the cheaper fruits usually, oh and bananas!!!! I buy store brand oatmeal and it's just as good to me.
    Eggs aren't too expensive and are high in protein.
    We also are on a limited budget (I'm a sahm of 4 kids) and it is hard, but it's possible. I buy the flash frozen chicken and you could grill or bake it in advance and keep it in the fridge to throw on a salad. HTH!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    if you cook EVERYTHING yourself 1.you will become a really good cook. 2.you know what is in it 3.you can save money!
    once you find the healthy,cheap fast recipies for you and your family to use stick to them you will be laughing! and healthy!
    healthy = not overweight!

good luck!
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Buy dried beans instead of canned beans. Meal planning is a great way to save money and stops impulse buys.
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi there, when you have a bit of money do a big shop of things that will last for ages like rice, lentils, pasta, tinned stuff like tuna, tomatoes, salmon, I freeze bread too etc.

Then week to week pick up the perishables like milk (although you can freeze this too), fruit, veg, cheese, yoghurt etc.

If you end up a bit broke you'll always have something in the cupboard or freezer.

I make everything I eat, and it is quite cheap, I spend about £40 a month and then £15 per week thereafter, and that includes dog food for a large beast lol! My butcher supplies her with free bones as I am a regular, sometimes there is so much meat on them I make soup with the smaller ones.

I also grow my own veggies in the spring/summer. I eat a lot of vegetable soup lol! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Go vegetarian for some meals. Beans are extremely cheap and filling. Plan your meals around sales. Stock up on non-perishables when they are on sale. Substitute frozen vegetables for fresh when fresh is too expensive (make sure the pkg contains veggies only and not a lot of additives). Clip coupons. When it's harvest season in your area, look for local farm stands or shop at the Farmer's market for fresh fruits and veggies. Prepare your meals from scratch. Raw ingredients are much cheaper than pre-prepared. Eggs are a great cheap source of protein. Buy a fishing pole. :wink:

When eating out, make use of sides. You can often have a tasty, less expensive meal by skipping the entree and just order 2 or 3 sides.
  • KT_ny
    Options
    Ground turkey is super cheap and you use it to make leaner burgers, meatloaf, and meatballs. You can get cheap cuts of steak that don't have too much fat on them. I also go for frozen veggies. They may not support the local farmers, but in terms of nutrition I don't think you are losing anything. A lot of times frozen veggies are on sale. I usually look at the online circular for my grocery shop before I go, and I plan around what's on sale! This helps the most. Make a lot of food and freeze it for the future, since buying things in bulk is cheaper. Also, the less you eat the more leftovers you will have! Not saying starve yourself but changing portion sizes has helped me save so much money!
  • J3nnaLyn
    Options
    My groceries usually only cost me about 50-60 a week...is that manageable? You could probably wittle it down to about 30-40 if you want, I can help you!
  • incfighters
    incfighters Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses and advice. I'm amazed at the supportive community here! You guys are awesome! :smile:
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Frozen fish is very inexpensive and can feed a family. Also, frozen veggies are much cheaper than buying pastas like macaroni and cheese. I also started creating a 2-week menu and only purchase foods from that menu except for other foods for snacks and breakfast.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    if you cook EVERYTHING yourself 1.you will become a really good cook. 2.you know what is in it 3.you can save money!
    once you find the healthy,cheap fast recipies for you and your family to use stick to them you will be laughing! and healthy!
    healthy = not overweight!

good luck!

Definitely agree - buying meat in bulk cheaper too, so cook for double and free it down. You have some 'healthy' ready meals when you want them then!
  • jemko
    jemko Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Most of my suggestions have probably already been covered, but here they are anyway:

1 - Buy grains, beans and meats in bulk if you can. If you have a local health food store, they may sell brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat coucous and various dried beans in bulk. This is always cheaper than name brand food, because you're saving money on the packaging and name brand upcharge. Buy meat when it goes on sale and freeze as much as you can.
    2 - Buy frozen veggies and meat/fish when you can. Frozen veggies are much cheaper than fresh and when it comes down to it, frozen veggies are better than no veggies!
    3 - Buy store brand when you can. Things like oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, canned goods, etc.
    4 - Buy dried beans (as mentioned in #1) - cheaper than canned and they go a LONG way.
    5 - If you can, shop at more than one store. For me, Publix is best for produce and meat, Kroger is better for organic items, Trader Joe's is best for staples like Olive Oil, etc.
    6 - Plan your meals and cook them yourself. You'll save money and be certain of the quality of the food you're eating.
    7 - SOUP! You can make so many filling, delicious soups that will last several meals and be healthy AND cost very little.
    8 - When you are able to find a good deal or make a recipe you know you love, make twice as much and freeze the extra in individual servings. That way when you're in a pinch or running low on cash, you'll have plenty of meals that you enjoy that you can fall back on and not have to worry.
    9 - If you like them, eggs are a great source of protein and are pretty cheap. Learn to make quiches and egg salads, and other egg dishes to keep it interesting.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yes - I plan on a Sunday what we are eating for the week ahead, looking through the cupboard and freezer first - then writing a list of what I need to make the meals complete. It stops temptation in the store too. I spend less money and have less wastage.

I used to find I'd do a monthly shop, then top it up with fresh stuff - but with no real thought as to what I'm going to cook. So I'd end up with lots of leftover fruit/veg - that I have to throw away as it's gone off before I've had chance to use it.

And NEVER go shopping hungry either - end up buying too much of the wrong things. :)

"Top up" meals with low cost veg or salad - so you serve up less of the expensive bits (like the meat or fish).
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am in the same boat too, I find frozen veggies good for me on my own so there is no waste of food, I also use my slow cooker too and then I can make lots of meals and freeze them. I did a chicken curry the other day and got 9 meals out of it, I did a beef slow cook last weekend and got 7 meals out of that one, when the food has cooled I divide it up into containers and put frozen veggies with them so I have meals already to go when ever I want them which is great if you if you are working. When I use the slow cooker I use the "My Recipe " here in MFP and it tells you how many calories are in the meals too.

If you can buy in bulk that is good, I don't really get to do that as I get taken shopping on a certain day with a carer so find it easier to just go to the shopping centre, Saturday fruit and veggie markets are good too.

Good luck