Breakfast.

Options
2»

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    okay so everybody has mentioned eggbeaters, should i stay away from just eggs ? i'm kinda of a food dumby my philosophy is it smells good it looks good it taste good, i'ma eat it. but i havent done that in 5 days so i'm getting better :)

A lot of people choose egg beaters because it has the same protein as eggs but with less calories and no fat or cholesterol. if you have the room in your diary, you're welcome to go for regular shell eggs - they're good for you. But if you're struggling to keep your calories down, egg beaters or egg whites are a great alternative.

BUT Egg beaters are very processed and full of chemicals. Better idea is to use just 1 egg and then egg whites which even when bought in the carton contain nothing but original egg whites.

I have 1 egg with 1/4 cup egg whites, black pepper and 1 cup of baby spinach for my morning snack at 10:30 am. I make it the night before while making dinner and just warm it up for 1 min at work.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts are usually something like oatmeal, cereal, greek yogurt w/ fruit, egg plus whites, whole grain toast, whole grain pancake/waffle or sometimes I juice veggies with a little fruit.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    90% of the time it's one fo the following:
    1 egg scrambled with 100g of frozen spinach plus decaf with almond milk and stevia
    OR
    10 g oatmeal with 10 g ground flax and 100 g frozen blueberries microwaved for 3 min with water (plus decaf with almond milk and stevia).

Lucky for me that although I live in the South, I never developed a taste for gravy, biscuits or overly-salty breakfast meats such as ham and sausage. It all tastes like 4th grade wheat paste and salt to me!

When I'm feeling wild, though I will indulge in "faux-cheese grits" made with flax (to increase the fiber), veggie shreds in place of the cheese, and of course, NO butter.
  • jwhodgson
    Options
    I see a lot of folks with yogurt, granola, etc, which are good options. Fresh fruit is also a nice starter. I tend to stick with protein for breakfast, which would be egg whites or egg beaters. I often have some egg whites in a tortilla, though you have to check tortilla labels too, some can sneak up on you. This way I have a to go meal. I save the full eggs for the weekend, or a treat. I'm watching cholesterol, thus I limit my intake of yolks per week. Oatmeal is also a good option, but I find myself hungrier earlier in the day. Protein sticks with you the best 'til lunch. I, like you, have been raised on big breakfast, typically eggs, bacon, and some carbs, so I find I still have to stick with some of what I love, but with modifications.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I alternate between:

Scrambled egg. Usually one whole egg and one white. Sometimes I add a slice of ham, or one rasher of crisp grilled bacon. Sometimes I add veggies like mushroom. Sometimes cheese. This morning it was smoked salmon (MMMMmmmmm!)

Plain natural yoghurt. With berries if they're in season, or with nuts and seeds if not. Bit of ginger or cinnamon for flavour and metabolism boost.

Porridge. Only in winter really. Sometimes Bircher muesli - soak oats overnight in fruit juice, next morning grate a whole apple into the mix, add yoghurt, seeds, nuts, honey as desired.

One piece wholemeal toast with peanut or almond or hazelnut butter. Sometimes a scrape of jam (jelly) on top. I keep the bread in the freezer, as I only have one slice every couple of days, so it lasts longer there.

Smoked mackerel. Bit high in fats, even though they're the good kind.

Soft boiled aggs are my favourite - I'll usually have one at weekends, and boil 3 or 4 more eggs while I'm at it to have for snacks during the week. If I'm watching my carbs, I'll dip asparagus speears in it. If not, toast soldiers spread with marmite :tongue:
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    eggbeaters clarification-i think they taste different than regular eggs-i eat them but i like regular eggs better, i usually eat them during the week when im getting me and the kids and the hubby out the door, but on weekends i resort to the real egg/egg white combo or just one egg, it depends on what else I am eating, if I want to have toast and bacon and maybe something else i wouldnt normally have ill stick with egg beaters to keep my calories down.