Greek yogurt

Options
wiffe
wiffe Posts: 224 Member
What does it taste like? I don't like regular yogurt. I've tried and tried.

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It is more tart/sour and thicker. I like it better because I like the texture and it has a lot more protein.
  • zoodalia
    Options
    Kind of like regular yoghurt but a little thicker and creamier. It's lovely, but if you don't like 'normal' yoghurt, I'm not sure you'd like Greek yoghurt!
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Much thicker, but still a similar taste to regular yogurt.
    Try vanilla greek yogurt.
    Or, buy plain and make it into something that you like (add fruit, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, etc...)
    You can eventually lessen the amount of additions later on...
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I don't like regular yogurt but I LOVE Greek yogurt. It's thicker and creamier. I eat the Oikos brand with fruit at the bottom and it's just delicious. I don't like the vanilla, the caramel or the chocolate ones but the fruit ones have been very good so far.
  • beachblondie89
    Options
    It's a lot thicker and tastes amazing with fresh fruit! You can also pop some whole grain flakes in for a crunch. And sometimes I put some white chocolate ships in DELICIOUS! Chobani honey is my favorite
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, yogurt was tart. Then, for the American palate, the various yogurt brands started making really sweet yogurts. The greek yogurts go back to the more tart version, which I like.

Like any yogurt, you can get plain or flavored. I can't stand the super-sweet ones like the yoplait cream pies and such, so greek yogurt is great to me. I like to add my own fruit or a little bit of berry preserves, or just honey to sweeten it up a bit.

There are many brands - some are more tart than others. If you don't care for plain (many people don't) - try adding something to it or going with a flavored one. I like Liberte, Chobani, Fage - they are all good, IMO.

If you have tried many versions of regular yogurt, you just might not like yogurt in general. You don't say why you don't like regular yogurt - too sweet? too tart?
  • thebunnies
    Options
    thick, creamy, tangy.. i always had some kind of sweetener to it to take the bite off the tang. i also like adding a tbsp of peanut butter to it, it's like dessert! otherwise, i have it in smoothies or topped with fruit and nuts or granola.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I like to use the plain kind in smoothies or as sour cream.....other than that, I don't eat yogurt.
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love greek yogurt.
    Chobani grand is my personal favorite and the Black Cherry is awesome.
    Chobani also makes a Lemon flavor that is wonderful frozen :)
    Options
    i have tried all kinds of yogurt and can,t stand them, but chobani greek yogurt is the best!!!!!!!!!!
  • fitnessbekhs
    Options
    It's the BEST!! The plain is tart/sour and thick...but Fage makes some that have "add-ins" which are DELISH! The 0% Strawberry Goji is my FAVE!
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I didn't like yogurt either, but now force myself to eat it, I use the creek in my smoothies. And I can tolerate the Vanilla yogurts I don't eat too much of that one due to the sugar.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You have to try it. I think it tastes mort tart, and I can't imagine that people would like it who don't like yogurt, but I have seen that post on here. I love yogurt and I had to adjust to the taste of greek because it is a little more sour. And I don't eat the plain yet. I use the fruit kind.
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Try Chobani greek yogurt, Pomegrate flavor and if that fails, Try Cottage Cheese, I love cottage cheese especially the Pineapple flavor.
  • crobinson53
    Options
    I don't like the taste or texture of greek yogurt so I mix in Kashi's granola and eat it fast.

It's really healthy so I eat it.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just dont' care for the taste. NOt sure if it's too tart or sour.

I've tried all different version. Maybe I will buy 1 and try.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think plain Greek yogurt tastes a lot like sour cream but it's thicker and creamier. I buy the 4 cup container of Fage 0% (nonfat) and go through a container in about a week or so. I always add sweetener to mine when I'm eating it for breakfast because I really can't just eat it plain. Lately I've been adding one packet of Splenda and a teaspoon of lemon extract (no additional calories) per 6 ounces of yogurt. I've tried other combinations of flavors and have added things like sugar free jello or pudding mix and often just the Splenda packet alone.

You can also use it just like sour cream. I'll add granulated onion and garlic and a pinch of salt and use it as a veggie dip. I also use it on baked potatoes or mix it into any recipe that calls for sour cream.