It's Apple Season - Cinnamon Apple Chips

Options
Sweet_Pandora
Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
I came across this recipe today and can't wait to try it this weekend. I try to avoid white sugar so I am going to substitute the sugar with maple syrup.

Cinnamon-Sugar Apple Chips

INGREDIENTS
2 apples, rinsed and dried
Juice of 2 lemons
500 mL (2 cups) water
375 mL (1 1/2 cups) white sugar
30 mL (2 tablespoons) cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 90ºC (200ºF). In a small pot, combine water and sugar, then bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat to create a simple syrup. Set aside.
Cut apples into thin slices with a sharp knife. Remove any seeds.
Drizzle the slices with lemon juice, then dip each in the syrup and set on a baking sheet.
Sprinkle the slices with cinnamon. Bake in the oven approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours, leaving the oven door slightly ajar to let moisture escape. Remove the apple chips once lightly golden and crispy.

Tip: For homemade chips, choose an apple that’s firm and flavourful, like Braeburn or Gala.

K

Replies

• TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    This is going in my recipes!! Thanks!
  • dianer75935
    dianer75935 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
    what is the calorie count for this sound soooooooo yummmy
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Holy yumminess! I am going to try that, thanks!
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Options
    I like the idea of having something with a little crisp and yet some sweetness to munch on.

I think I am going to half the maple syrup and see how it tastes. 1 1/2 cups for 2 apples sounds a little too sweet.

K
  • sarahbeatty
    sarahbeatty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    wowza! i"m making these!

I sell pampered chef and I can hook you up with a great slicer to get the apple chips the right thickness, and all of them the same! *wink wink*
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Bake in the oven approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours, leaving the oven door slightly ajar to let moisture escape.

That doesn't sound too energy efficient especially if you are still enjoying some lingering summer and the a/c still comes on intermittently.

Let us know how it goes, I cannot imagine it taking that long.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Another apple suggestion...
    I just diced up some apple and cooked it in the microwave with my old fashioned oats.. add a little sweetener & cinnamon and you have a yummy, hearty Apple Oatmeal!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Options
    Great idea Jamie

I also like to core apples and fill them with walnuts and dried cranberries and cranberry juice and a little cinnamon and bake in the oven.

Lovely desert.

K
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yum! That sounds good too!