Atkins diet

Options
Is anyone doing the Atkins diet? Have ya'll seen any results? Did you jus change your eating habits or have you bee working out too?

Replies

• kastastrophe
    Options
    Yes, I lost 12 lbs on the first two weeks with almost no exercise but it all went horribly wrong when I had my birthday, ate lots of cake and drank lots of booze. I'm back on it again and although I haven't officially weighed in yet, I've lost 7 lbs so far. I've nearly dropped down a full dress size too (can fit the next size down but it's tight). I'm exercising this time but nothing too crazy, just walking or a little circuit training.

I find it very easy to stick to if I have Atkins-friendly food around. If I'm not prepared and get too hungry, I'll end up eating anything I can get my hands on, diet be damned. Of course I remember feeling the same way on low fat/high carb diets too.

I'd suggest reading Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution or even Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. Both explain the science behind low carb very well and tell you what to eat in detail. If you decide to do it, I should mention I felt rather wretched the first time round (called the 'Atkins flu') but I read up on supplements and a combination of potassium and magnesium with a good multivitamin has completely eliminated it this time.

Feel free to add me if you want.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins in 2005. It worked wonderfully for as long as I was doing it religiously. I lost 50 pounds in about 7 months (lost 17 in the first month). I don't recall exercising at the beginning, but I know I added exercise somewhere in that time frame. I don't think exercise is necessary for Atkins to be successful, but exercise has other benefits which are important (i.e., cardio health, toning up so you aren't soft and mushy when you lose weight, etc.). My lipid and cholesterol readings were fabulous at the conclusion of my "doing Atkins right" period.

For me, Atkins wasn't a sustainable lifestyle and once I started cheating more than once a week, the weight started to come back like a freight train. I added back the 50 and then 7 more for good measure in the last few years.

I went into the Atkins year with the mindset "just do something to lose weight" rather than think about what a sustainable healthy lifestyle would look like. A lifestyle without fruit, without many veggies, without pizza, without any pasta, etc., just is not sustainable for me. This year, its been about eating healthy...eating foods I like, but doing so in moderation. If I want pizza, I eat pizza...I just know that I'm full after 1 or 2 pieces so I stop eating when I'm full. I love fruit and I eat fruit. I'm on a healthy eating "plan" that I can sustain because I get to eat the foods I like as long as I'm smart about it.
  • kastastrophe
    Options
    That's one thing I struggled with too but this time I found some Atkins-friendly recipes for my favourite foods, like pizza and cheesecake, and they taste fantastic. I actually got a leaflet for Dominos through the door today so I'm making cauliflower crust pizza tonight instead. :)
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Somehow I gained weight trying Adkins....not sure how! I do best on WW.
  • zoodalia
    Options
    It works, there's no doubt about it. I lost 8 pounds in 6 days the first time I tried it and 4 pound in 3 days the second time I tried it (both without any exercise)... BUT, I simply cannot stick to it. I get so sick of all the meat, cheese and eggs I feel like I'm going to vomit. I also feel greasy, bloated and my mood is low. The moment I introduce any carbs (even Atkins products) I start gaining weight again.

Some people seem to get on with it, but in my opinion it's incredibly unhealthy and short-term.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Atkins is poorly set-up in terms of nutrients and vitamins, Just remember to get what you need in you, and when you come off the diet there *will* be weight re-gain from water retention bc of carbs. It's not fat though, so don't worry!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't see a reason to try atkins unless you're reasonably obese and your doctor suggests it as a way of losing quick weight and jump starting certain metabolic processes. At that point you'd probably want to go on a diet that's sustainable. Your mileage may vary, of course.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing Atkins per say but I am doing LC. I get most of my carbs from vegetables. I love this diet ! I am never hungry , my mood has been way better and I have all this energy. I started on July 24th and I have lost 17 pounds .

The first two weeks I did crave my starbucks but as for pizza, pasta and other starchy /sugary foods , the craving have gone away. I have never been a soda drinker so this was not a problem for me.

Every week I have weight loss. I have about 15-20 pounds left to lose and my plan is to make LC my lifestyle.

This is the easiest weight loss plan I have ever done and I have tried a few.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Atkins for 14 days now, just finished my Induction. Total loss is 8 lbs :-D

I feel great, I've not felt bloated after eating and I've pretty much stopped snacking too. I don't feel like I'm missing high carb foods at all really - except for yoghurt and fruit...but I've got another 2 weeks for yoghurt and 4 weeks for fruit...something to look forward to and keep me motivated.

I take a Cod Liver Oil and Multivitamin tablet each day and I drink a good deal of water.

Sample menu:

Breakfast: 2 poached eggs, 2 slices of thin sliced ham, half an avocado and a drizzle of mayonnaise
    Lunch: Salad made of mixed lettuce, radishes, cucumber, peppers, can of tuna mixed with mayonnaise (or suitable salad dressing), couple of slices of cheese
    Tea: Chicken breast (fried in butter then transferred to oven) with basil and mozzarella served with broccoli and cherry tomatoes.

It's very important to read as much information as you can from the website and read the book - it really isn't as simple as "eat a load of meat, cheese and eggs" - it really can be a great way eat :-))

Edit: forgot to mention that day 2-4 I did feel a little light headed occasionally and generally a bit squiffy - that stopped really soon though and haven't felt like that again
  • cfiles
    cfiles Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My only problem is I don't eat alot of fruit and vegetables anyway. The only kind of vegetables I eat are like potatoes, peas are corn. What can I say I'm from Louisiana. LOL.. I've only been doin it for 3 days now and have lost 3.5 lbs. I drink lots of water and I'll eat cheese on almost anything lol. Does anyone know some good recipes so I can switch things up a little?
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My only problem is I don't eat alot of fruit and vegetables anyway. The only kind of vegetables I eat are like potatoes, peas are corn. What can I say I'm from Louisiana. LOL.. I've only been doin it for 3 days now and have lost 3.5 lbs. I drink lots of water and I'll eat cheese on almost anything lol. Does anyone know some good recipes so I can switch things up a little?

Go to www.genaw.com. There are a lot of great recipes on there. :)
  • arlo1028
    arlo1028 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I tried atkins, helped me loose 15lbs (: I didn't use the atkins products though, just sord of followed thru how to count my carbs and calories. And I walked almost everyday for 30mins to an hour. nothing too crazy hehe

edit to add: it also helped me maintain my weight, which was great! haven't gained any of that back lol
  • size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    YEP!* I'm currently on the "Atkins" diet. I've been on it for a month. but I am at a normal body weight and any doctor will tell you I don't need to loose weight but because I work in the film and television industry being 2 kilo's under weight is a must!* so loosing weight is difficult. I think that's because the body will do anything to survive and will hold onto body weight no matter what. but I have found without exercise, doing phase one; the weight is coming off slowly bit by bit. it's easy for me to be on atkins because my eatting habits before hand were very similar.

Pizza?
    the most over-rated piece of rubbish I have ever encounted. don't touch it. never have, never will.:tongue:
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Atkins for years. I also work out, but Atkins is the easiest way (ketosis and all that) to keep weight off when you skip the gym for a little while.

Feel free to friend me, I try to "collect" friends that do any sort of low carb diet including Paleo, Blood Type, Atkins, South Beach, gluten-free. . whatever. Actually most of my friends on here do low carb and lift weights, work out. . the combo of the two really works for me keeping my weight low.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I am not an awesome cook or anything but here are some low carb substitutes that help a newbie to low carb:

Stevia instead of sugar (not as bad for you as other "fake sugars")
    Shiritaki noodles, also known as Yam Noodles (in Asian markets- but read the label on the back to make sure it's the right low carb kind) also known as "Miracle Noodle", or Kelp noodles (found at Whole Foods) .. some of these can be found online.
    If you absolutely must "bread" something then try to use low carb flours or Almond meal (can find it at Trader Joe's) instead of bread crumbs

heavy cream in coffee
    dessert- easy to find low carb cheesecake recipes online

Uh. . I can't list everything I eat but you can friend low carb people and then look at their food diaries.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The number one reason low carb works for me is that it helps keep my appetite in check. Don't know why, but it just does. If I have carbs then I eat and eat and eat and eat! Who ever stops at one slice of toast? ;)

If I have healthy cereal or fruit for breakfast I'm starving by 10am. But with low carb I can have eggs and bacon for breakfast and have to force myself to eat at lunchtime because my appetite just isn't there.

Main thing is to take a good multivitamin, just in case, and make sure you get lots of good veggies (I advocate low carb, not no carb). More than anything, if you avoid the ready-made low-carb products, you get to make lots of healthy meals from scratch, which I find are easier to cook than those with carbs (one less pan where the potatoes or rice would be!).

Tonight I had roast chicken, broccoli and fake mash (steamed cauliflower whizzed through the blender with black pepper, cheese and a dash of cream). Delicious. And now, at 9.30pm, I haven't got any of my usual evening hunger pangs.

Buy the book and try it - you might be surprised!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I do low-carb, though not strictly Atkins, though I have done it before.

Atkins works by putting your body into what he calls "benign dietary ketosis". It's how you know you are burning fat - when there are ketones in your urine. It was cool to pee on a stick to know if you are burning fat. :)

But the biggest reason I eat low carb is simply to keep my appetite in check.

I am convinced that carbs spike your blood sugar, and when that crashes you feel hungry. By eating a higher protein diet, this is leveled out.

At the end of the day, though, I'm convinced it's all about calories. Atkins even says this: people who eat low carb tend to eat lower calories anyway - they simply can't eat enough high-protein food to get a high calorie diet.
  • Big21dawg
    Options
    Lots of thoughts and opinions and I enjoy reading them all and thought I would chip in my two cents. First I never say I am doing a diet...seems to imply something short term. To lose weight and maintain the loss requires a change in lifestyle. I started with Atkins but like many people I found it difficult to sustain long term...I lost 60lbs over the course of 2 yrs and I was pretty strict with it. After two years I just couldnt stay with it and put back on about 20. To anyone who is going to do Atkins you have to read the book. Yeah you can eat lots of meat , cheese, eggs and some veggies, but he does suggest staying way from processed meat products. I saw so many people eat a pound of bacon (typically loaded with nitrates) or eat multiple cheese burgers from McDonalds just minus the bread...I just dont think it is what Dr. Atkins had in mind.

I don't follow Atkins now, but I do follow a LC lifestyle. I also try and eat lean meats and unprocessed meats. I use dream fields when I need a pasta fix and really pump up my veggie intake. I have tried WW and I was miserable and constantly hungry so in my opinion different eating styles suit different people. I have a serious history of diabetes in my family so a LC plan suits my genetic background (my personal feelings).

Best of luck to everyone!
  • dragondreamer
    Options
    Hello, All! My name is Anne and I am a carb junkie!! This is also my first day on MFP Forums even though I've used the site for a while, so let me also sy, "Hello!" :flowerforyou:

I start Atkins tomorrow. I bought the book yesterday and I have read it all the way through and I'm ready.

I did an anti-inflammatory diet the beginning of the year and determined I had a wheat allergy (but not Celiac disease). I lost 20 lbs in my first few months because I was stumped at how to eat pasta & breads without wheat... then I found the other options... and in the past 4ish months I was holding steady at my 20lb loss (and totally aggravated) but in the last month I have gained 5 of it back.... binge eating my favorite carby comfort foods with no regards to my wheat allergy at all.

because I felt GREAT not eating all the heavy bread/pasta type carbs, and eating mostly veggies and free-range meats on eth AI diet, I know Atkins can work for me!!! Backing off the heavy pastas & breads, etc can onlt help my allergy and dropping all the other wheat free carb options can only help my size 18 waist!

The other problem I have is that I have digestive issues with meats. Doesn't matter what kind, or how it's cooked, I have a lot of cramping and constipation (I'm sorry for the TMI) if I eat more than a very small amount... I'd say more than an ounce? I do take psyllium but I also have to take a natural simple digestive formula which contains enzymes from papaya and pineapple. It doens;t have carb info on the bottle :grumble: So I am willing to try to stop it for Induction, but will have to start it again if I have issues. I'll know within the first few days if I eat too much meat.

So that is my story in a LONG nutshell :laugh:

Any suggestions?

(x-posted to Atkins Support Group)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Hi Anne, welcome on board! I'm still pretty much a newbie when it comes to doing low carb but there is a great thread you should join on here with people with loads of experience and advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/324624-atkins-support-group

But, for now, my first thought would be whether you have sought medical advice about all this. Sounds like there is a lot going on and self-diagnosis is not always the best way forward. I've been treated for allergies since I was a child (undergoing skin scratch tests, exclusion diets etc - I have asthma, hayfever and allergies to dust, pollen and wasp stings) and have since had what I thought were allergies as an adult to things like wheat and milk (which gave me stomach problems so aren't really allergies). But only an exclusion diet under medical supervision can ever really test for allergies and intolerances. Also, bread and pasta give a lot of people bloating, but this is not necessarily an allergy - it's just that some bodies struggle to digest these (my digestive system often grinds to a halt if I have lots of bread, even wholemeal and multigrain).

Giving Atkins a go is a great idea. It certainly seems to settle my stomach, although do keep taking the psyllium and keep your fat and water intake high to prevent constipation (this often settles down after the first few days, so don't worry).

Your symptoms could be IBS so, again, worth talking to your doctor. There are over the counter antispasmodic drugs too that could help with the cramping - ask your pharmacist about these.

Not being able to eat meat could be a problem though as this is vital to the diet. You can try eating lots of fish instead but I really would give meat a go. You may find that by cutting out the foods we usually eat alongside them (potatoes, rice etc) stops the indigestion problems. Chicken is usually quite kind to the stomach, so start off with that and see how you go. Also avoid processed meats as it could be that the additives are upsetting your stomach.

Good luck and will drop you a friend alert - we could all do with a little support now and then :)