Cholesterol

Options
dkell
dkell Posts: 408 Member
I just had a doctors appointment and he put me on Crestor a medication to help me lower my cholesterol. :cry: :cry: I also need to diet and exercise. :ohwell: Does anyone out there have a similar problem under control? How did you do it?
I'm just trying to get a plan together to tackle this condition before it causes any problems.:wink::smile:

Replies

• dkell
    Options
    I just had a doctors appointment and he put me on Crestor a medication to help me lower my cholesterol. :cry: :cry: I also need to diet and exercise. :ohwell: Does anyone out there have a similar problem under control? How did you do it?
    I'm just trying to get a plan together to tackle this condition before it causes any problems.:wink::smile:
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i know that honey nut cheerios helps lower it. plus its yummy too!
  • dewassel
    Options
    Just adding exercise took off 11 points this year:happy:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and other oat products are supposed to be really good for lowering cholesterol. Also, olive oil and fatty fish (salmon) in moderation are supposed to help. Exercise is also a great way to keep it is check.

If your doc gave you medication, it is likely that you can't completely control with diet and exercise - could be some genetic components that do not respond to diet, but the diet can keep you on a lower dose of medication.

I just got put on Lipitor last year. I begged and pleaded for a diet solution, but no dice.. I am on the lowest dose and have not had to move up, and my cholesterol is terrific now..

Good luck.. jb
  • dkell
    Options
    My doc did say it was probably genetic. Thanks for the advice. I need to step up the exercise.:smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My best friend has had high cholesterol since she was a baby. Regardless of a good diet or exercise, it's still up in the 200's, so she's on medication for it. That's not to say that diet and exercise don't help--they definitely do--but don't feel like you've done anything wrong. This is really out of your control and due to a problem with how your body handles incoming cholesterol.

Exercise will help prevent atherosclerosis simply by keeping your blood moving quickly and under pressure--there's not much of a chance for plaque buildup with a raging river of blood racing through your circulatory system. The diet will help control the cholesterol so your body won't have to try and process a whole bunch at once. While I normally promote egg yolks that aren't a problem for many people because they only increase HDL cholesterol, you will need to watch your cholesterol closely and eat a diet high in fiber. So fewer egg yolks, less red meat, etc. because you don't want either number to increase. However, I don't recommend switching to anything that contains trans fats, as they increase your LDL and lower your HDL cholesterol.

Once your total cholesterol goes below 200, your doctor might suggest working on your profile--bringing HDL's up and LDL's way down.

Good luck! :smile: