How do you not be "that weird guy/girl"?

Options
124»

Replies

• donbet69
    Options
    Can you say you're in training for something? Or too much fatty sweet food gives you gas, so you avoid it :P

Nothing says outcast like gas.....
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    People like to bond over food. If they are sitting around chatting and nibbling, sit and chat, bring your water or coffee. A simple, "oh, that looks delicious...but I'll have to run sixty miles to get it off my thighs!" will suffice. Ask them how they made it, or how their family is. No one cares if you eat or not. Contribute something yummy/ healthy once in awhile. If they are standing over you insisting and you don't want to take a stand, accept it graciously and toss it later.
  • sharonlafleur
    sharonlafleur Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to tell the truth when I say I can't, I get sugar migraines. When I splurge I usually end up having to take something for the pain or suffer. I'd rather not take too much medication if I can avoid it.

That or moderation and portion control if you have it.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Can you say you're in training for something? Or too much fatty sweet food gives you gas, so you avoid it :P

I think this will work the best for sure!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read answers later b/c I was that person at my last office. I was the “skinny” one so when I complained I gained 8 lbs on my honeymoon (that’s when I started MFP) everyone thought I was kidding and told me to eat more and so I gained an extra 5 and here I stand, now with a BMI of 21.5, 1-2 points too many in my books.

I’m in a new office now surrounded by 2 great girls close to my age and health/food obsessed with me, love it!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I tell people "no thanks, I'm a health nut." End of story. I'm not passing judgment on their choices, and if they think I'm weird, I don't much care ;)

Actually, so far I've helped two different women literally change their lives because they asked me for specific advice after I declined treats in this fashion.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Here's what I have done in similar situations in the past (I'm sure some or all have already been mentioned, but don't want to read 3 pages of posts...):

- Bring something to add to the goody table (whether or not you eat it yourself), maybe on a somewhat regular basis

- Lie and say you've already have your treat for the day, or that you have a chocolate cake waiting for you at home. (In other words, pretend you're one of those people who just eats one treat a day and you just happen to do it before or after work.)

- Say that you're not hungry now or want to save it for after dinner, and take something "to go." Then throw it out, give it to someone not from work, or save/freeze it.

(And a couple times in the past when people really pressured me or were getting on my nerves about not eating food they had brought in for "me" to eat, I have shown them my "before" pictures and that has shut them right up.)
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    but there's also a designated treat table that is often filled with goodies. I hate to turn people down because I feel like I'm being rude.

Do you even have to say anything? could it be the fact that you are saying anything at all be what's making the 'weird guy/girl'? I guess what I'm trying to say is - people leave cookies, kolaches, donuts, etc all the time in the common table in the area I work in, but I don't feel it necessary to explain why I'm not having one, and nobody looks at me expectantly like I should take one when I walk by or if I'm having a discussion near the table. It's just there. If I want one, I'll take one, and if not, I won't, just like everybody else. However, if I were to make a big show of not taking one, then they might look at me and roll their eyes. I guess my question is - do they really care if you take a treat or not, and do you even need to explain anything at all?
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I think that a simple, "no thanks" is fine. If someone takes offense to that, they're the weird guy/girl!

I agree!
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    maybe just by being honest with them, about your weight struggles and what you went through. who knows you might have something in common with them, they might even ask you for tips or advice and youll be the go to fitness girl at work. =)

I like this approach if you feel comfortable enough to share this. I sometimes say that I have health issues with sugar, so am trying to avoid it. (I am afraid of developing adult-onset diabetes like my older bro did, plus trying to lose weight is definitely easier if I'm not eating sugar!) Usually, if they hear you have a health issue, they'll back off, and I don't feel like I'm being deceptive or rude for not sampling their goodies.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My work collagues know I'm trying to lose weight but as I'm engaged they think I have set a wedding date and keep asking for details. Then if we're out having drinks and I don't order alcohol they assume I'm pregnant. You can't win! They still try and make me have unhealthy food. They all got ice creams one Friday and I said I didn't want one but that didn't stop them buying one for me in case I change my mind.