Lasagna Recipes??

Options
So...I just entered a reciped i had for lasagna and turns out it has wayyyyy to many calories! So, anyone have a low cal recipe for lasagna?

Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• vdmxo
    vdmxo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You could just choose whichever veggies you like, add some tinned tomatoes, a touch of sugar, salt and pepper and tomato puree and you have your sauce.
    next choose a lower calorie option pasta sheet. as for the cheese, you could cut it out fromt the layers and just grate some mozarella or parmesan on top?

thats as much as i can come up with ha.
    alternatively, if you wanted meat you could try extra lean beef mince or even quorn?

x
  • wendibartel
    Options
    This is my new favorite and I found it on here one day.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Ingredients:
    -1 jar (26oz) of any pasta sauce (try to find a lower calorie one around 50-80 cals/serving)
    -2 large zucchini (or around 4 smaller sized ones)
    -6 oz shredded mozzarella, skim
    -3 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
    -15 oz low fat ricotta cheese
    -2 large eggs
    -garlic powder (around 1 tsp or to taste)
    -onion powder (around 1 tsp or to taste)
    -salt and pepper to taste
    -3 oz more mozzarella to melt on top

1. Cut the zucchini lengthwise to about 1/4 inch thickness to make your "noodles".
    2. Place the zucchini noodles on a plate and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
    3. In a medium sized bowl combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese and spices.
    4. Spray a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray like Pam. Spread 1/3 of the spaghetti sauce in the pan then layer on top with half of the zucchini noodles. Next layer half of the ricotta mixture and then half the mozzarella.
    5. Repeat layers- sauce, zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella.
    6. Cover with the final 1/3 of the sauce. Cover with foil and bake at 375° F (200° C) for 45 minutes.
    7. Uncover and sprinkle with the 3oz. more mozzarella cheese. Then place under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese is slightly browned and bubbly.
    8. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
    9. Cut into 8 servings.

Each serving is 225 calories! ...and trust me, you might not be able to eat just one. Enjoy!! :D
  • henney16
    Options
    my wife started making it for me with ground turkey, cottage cheese, fat free mozzarella, and then just normal sauce and noodles. Pretty similar taste to how it normally does. I can get a HUGE piece and its about 500 calories, but you can make the servings smaller (i based it on 8 servings and she has a big pan).

Hope you find something that works for ya!
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I use cottage cheese in my lasagna instead of ricotta...I like it BETTER!!! (and I am not a fan of cottage cheese). This could be one way to reduce your calories :)
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Turkey mince is lean and tasty. I find quorn is lower in calories but it's quite tasteless and don't like the texture.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You reminded me of a veggie lasagne that a friend made years ago, AND I LOVED IT! It's just healthy, have no idea of the cals, but here it is:

8 oz. lasagne noodles (I don't know if they make whole wheat, but I would use that now)
    2 med. onions, chopped
    4 cloved garlic, minced
    3 T. Olive oil
    2 C. Tomato sauce, canned tomatoes OR thinned paste
    2 t. dry oregano
    1 t. dry basil
    1/4 c. chopped parsley
    2 t. salt (I don't use salt in cooking anymore - up to you)
    1/2 lbs. sliced mushrooms sauteed in oli oil
    3/4 c. dry small red beans, cooked tender
    3/4 lb. mozarella cheese thinly sliced
    2 c. Ricotta or cottage cheese (I've heard some people have exchanged with greek yogurt)
    1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, grated

Cook noodles
    saute onions & garlic in evoo, stir in tomatoe, oregano, basil, parsley & salt. Cook & stir 1/2 hour. stir in sauteed mushrooms and cooked beans.
    Assemble noodles, 1/3 tomato sauce, layer of ricotta cheese, then mozarella, then parmesan cheese. Repeat 2 more xs, ending with parmesan cheese.

Bake @ 375 for 20 mins.

You could probably replace the mushrooms with zucchini if you prefer. And, low fat/sodium cheeses. ENJOY!!

I LOVE THIS SITE!!! I'm going to go enter it and see just where it's at!!! Roughly 270 cals per serving (serves 10)
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sub zucchini for the pasta, and use ground turkey or make it vegetarian.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You could also use spaghetti squash instead of noodles, I know I REALLY like it for spaghetti, and I'm told it works great for lasagne too :)
  • SunShineMom2402
    Options
    Thanks everyone! some of these do sound super yummy, i have never heard of the cottage cheese being a substitute, ill have to give that a try :) Im for sure gonna save some of these recipes!

:flowerforyou:
  • kerrydunning
    Options
    2 layers of pasta sheets ,lean mince, tinned tomatoes, greek salad cheese, skimmed milk n light marg for white sauce are all healthier alternatives :)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I've never heard of putting cheese in a lasagne before... on top, yes, but not within the layers.

A good ragu with lean minced turkey or quorn or mushrooms for the veggies. Leave out the bechamel between the layers and just add it over the top with some grated gran pandano to top with.

400-500 Calories which is ok for a main meal :tongue:
  • kerrydunning
    Options
    i put cheese between the layers but not bechamel sauce because it doesnt taste as good
  • 4littlemonkeys
    Options
    I bulk out the meat mixture with grated veges....carrots, zucchini, pumpkin and sweet potato, plus chopped spinach. I only need half to two thirds of the normal amount of meat that way (plus my husband and kids get heaps more vege into them!!)
    I haven't tried it yet, but am thinking of making the cheese sauce with lite evaporated milk instead of whole milk, that should cut a few calories out!

Edit....I just checked out the calorie counts on 250ml light evaporated milk and standard full fat milk......full fat milk has less calories!!
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I rarely have lasagna nowadays (the last time was about 6 months ago when I visited family back home and had access to an oven!) but a fantastic idea to ensure you're cutting calories for lasagna is to make them one-serving size. It's also nice when it'll just be you or two of you eating and you don't want a huge amount of leftovers. Rather than cook in a big dish, make them in cupcake tins, using wonton wrappers as the "noodle". Then add healthier ingredients of your choice. They come out super super cute and very tasty! Here's a recipe with some details:

http://www.cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001618.html
  • jeetiesweetie
    jeetiesweetie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had my gall bladder removed and since have switched to fat free everything. This topic interested me because i wanted to see what others were posting. My mom never used eggs because shes a vegetarian from india who eats dairy, but no poultry, meat, eggs or seafood/fish.

We always sauteed 2-3 zucchini, 1 large onion, 4-5 garlic cloves, 1 green bell pepper, 1/2 carton mushrooms, and any other veggies you want to add that you like- sometimes i get lazy and add garden sauce by Ragu to my mix at the end to make up for carrots and other pain in the butt veggies. After all those soften, we add oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste. once mixed thoroughly with the spices, we would add a whole large bottle of ragu sauce, like i said, i use garden variety.

that mixture is done. we use normal barilla brand lasagna noodles and boil them according to the directions.

we do not mix any other cheese or egg into the ricotta, which i just started using fat free instead of lite like my mom, and use part skim mozz cheese for the top. as you are reading, you see that this lasagna is more veg/sauce heavy than cheese heavy.

in the pan, we spray w pam, then layer noodles, add a thick layer of sauce mixture, spoon some ricotta evenly, add another noodle, etc. and then not even necessarily finish our ricotta container. at the end we sprinkle cheese, add olives, green peppers and onions similar to a pizza and bake in the oven at 400 degrees until it is browned to your liking and bubbling hot.

i dont see the point in mixing parm/romano/egg into the ricotta mixture. you're just adding tons more calories and unnecessary baggage when this version tastes just as good. it's def worth a try. i have not done the math on how many calories but am sure it is not over 400 a slice= and has not made me sick post op, so i think it works! enjoy!
  • shiloh015
    Options
    I made this recipe two nights ago and it turned out delicious! I'm a pretty picky eater so I wasnt sure I would like it at all but it was gooooood! I rinsed the sausage after cooking it and then added in a layer of 2% cottage cheese. Turned out fantastic! Cant wait to make it again :-)
    http://www.mykitchenaddiction.com/2009/12/spaghetti-squash-sagna/
  • kerrydunning
    Options
    im gona try the one portion size idea because i always go back for more! will use the veggy bulk idea too. thanks peeps :)
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm making this one tomorrow:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/more-surprises-shockers-and-swaps-veggie-rific-noodle-free-lasagna-recipe

Veggie-rific Noodle-Free Lasagna

PER SERVING (1/4th of lasagna): 265 calories, 4.5g fat, 926mg sodium, 32.5g carbs, 11g fiber, 13.5g sugars, 24g protein -- PointsPlus® value 6*

Prep: 30 minutes
    Cook: 1 hour

Ingredients:
    3 medium zucchini, ends removed, sliced lengthwise
    1 large portabella mushroom, sliced into strips
    1 large eggplant, ends removed, sliced lengthwise
    2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
    One 16-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, thoroughly drained, patted dry
    2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
    1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Dash ground nutmeg
    1 cup ground-beef-style soy crumbles (like the kinds by Boca and Morningstar Farms), thawed from frozen
    1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    1 tbsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    Lay several paper towels next to the stove. (As you cook the veggies in the next step, transfer them to the
    paper towels to drain excess moisture.)
    Bring a very large grill pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Evenly place
    zucchini, portabella mushroom, and eggplant in the pan, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes per
    side. (If you don't have a very large pan, just cook veggies in batches.) Set aside on paper towels.
    In a large bowl, combine crushed tomatoes with garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Mix
    well and set aside.
    In another large bowl, combine spinach, egg substitute, ricotta cheese, basil, salt, and nutmeg. Mix
    thoroughly and set aside.
    Evenly coat the bottom of an 8" X 8" baking pan with about half of the seasoned crushed tomatoes.
    Evenly layer half of the sliced veggies over the tomatoes. Spread half of the spinach mixture into an even
    layer over the veggies. Top evenly with soy crumbles.
    Evenly layer remaining veggies into the pan, placing them perpendicular to the first layer, followed by the
    remaining spinach mixture. Evenly cover with remaining seasoned crushed tomatoes. Evenly distribute
    mozzarella cheese and grated topping over the crushed tomatoes.
    Bake in the oven until lasagna is hot and mozzarella cheese is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
    Allow to cool slightly, cut into quarters, and enjoy!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS