chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Tried it a couple of times.....

I have 2 children now.

EPIC response!
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    What about cumin on instead of in the taco?
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You can mix 1 tsp each of cumin, chili powder, garlic poowder, onion powder, and paprika for a good taco seasoning
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I use it in lots of things and definitley a substitute for taco seasoning.
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    I make an all-purpose kind of meat mixture - 1lb lean ground beef, a medium onion diced, 3-5 minced cloves of garlic, and a half tablespoon each of cumin and cayenne. A dash of EVOO is usually needed to cook the veggies, and I add a quarter teaspoon of Tony's Creole seasoning and kosher salt. This makes 4 REALLY generous helpings, is pretty low-sodium and delicious in a taco shell, on a sandwich, over WG pasta, etc... I freeze individual servings, they come in handy for a quick, easy meal!
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    A little cumin goes a long way! I recently saw a salt-free chili powder, sold by Frontier, at Whole Foods.

Here's a recipe for making your own which I found online as I, too, am watching my sodium intake:

CHERIE'S NO-SALT CHILI POWDER

3 tablespoons paprika
    2 teaspoons dried dried cilantro, crumbled. (This is sold in jars as “Mexican Oregano.”)
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon tumeric
    (I bought mine in a deliciously fragrant spice store in Kiryatgat, Israel.)
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    one-quarter teaspoon cayenne
    Gently and thoroughly mix the above ingredients.
    Quantity: one-quarter cup.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Wait.... cumin on tacos? Yuck!

>.<
  • Aj1214
    Aj1214 Posts: 120
    Options
    the only problem with cumin in the tacos is it gives it sort of a "curry" taste when you eat it after. That smell and taste is just nearly impossible to get rid of, especially in a small apartment.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    My mind was so far outta the gutter when I posted this, that I didn't even notice haha
    But thank you all for your recipes and suggestions and I promise to keep hubby away from the skillet later! LOL

+100 to the OP for having a fantastic sense of humor as her thread got derailed straight into the gutter

**APPLAUSE**
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    You can mix 1 tsp each of cumin, chili powder, garlic poowder, onion powder, and paprika for a good taco seasoning
    Just realized that everyone and their mother already wrote this same thing pretty much...oops...too many comments that I didn't read.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    I think cumin smells like an dirty Iranian arm pit!
    One of my best friends is Iranian and I do not appreciate racist comments. They are not welcomed here. Please keep it about health, food, weight loss, etc. This comment was reported.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    My mind was so far outta the gutter when I posted this, that I didn't even notice haha
    But thank you all for your recipes and suggestions and I promise to keep hubby away from the skillet later! LOL

+100 to the OP for having a fantastic sense of humor as her thread got derailed straight into the gutter

**APPLAUSE**

Exactly, what a good sport...:drinker: :drinker:
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I have 2 children now.

Lmao!!!! Love this one!!!
  • Aj1214
    Aj1214 Posts: 120
    Options

I have 2 children now.

Lmao!!!! Love this one!!!

Quite the activity, laughing off THAT *kitten* :P
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

**APPLAUSE**

I second that!
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I make my own taco seasoning because the taco packet doesn't taste like tacos at all. It's a taste kind of thing, I don't ever measure. I use:

garlic powder
    onion powder
    chili powder (be heavy handed with this)
    cumin (this is the "taco" flavor, so I use a lot of this)
    dried cilantro
    chili flakes
    pepper
    salt to taste

It tastes way better than the packet and you can control the sodium content. I will never buy a packet again. You could also look up a recipe for taco seasoning online and make up a big batch you can store so you don't have to make it every time.

^THIS^ DEFINITELY!!!! I also used ground Coriander- no need for the packaged stuff and tasted so much more authentic!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I have 2 children now.

I LOVE YOU!
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    Options
    i make my own
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

**APPLAUSE**

I second that!

I will have to try Cumin. And no I didn't think you were actually talking about a seasoning..lol. Has anyone been to the Pink Taco in LA? Great restaurant!!
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What's the point of making a taco without the cumin? You need your protein !!!