advice on cats peeing outside the litter box

Options

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    haha, acceptance is hard, but with as many cats as weve had weve learned to live with it. just like the 2 year old little monster i call my son, haha.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    It sure is! Not getting angry's hard too. It was my first reaction this morning even though I know that's not the way to respond. Well, home now. In tow: orange scented nature's miracle for cat pee, a collar that lasts 30 days that is "calming" and doused in pheramones, two new sift n pour uncovered litter boxes (bathroom, front hall where she went this morning and dining room/kitchen, big 40lb bag of swheat scoop flushable biodegradable clumping litter. Hope this is my miracle cure! Oh, and thinking of giving the older cat a little cat nip daily. Cross ur fingers!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I wonder did you move the box? Sometimes when older that confuses them. Also, was it clean? Did you use a different litter?
    Just ideas.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Do you have Google at work? You might have better luck there...

Please don't Google about animal medicine, it does not make you a veterinarian. Instead, it causes people to do stupid things that sometimes endanger their animals.
    Like asking for (or giving) vet advice on a fitness website where membership requires zero credentials?
  • Starlage
    Options
    No, I didn't move the box or change litter. Thanks tho! Kennethmgreen... Vet advice? No, fellow pet owner advice from other people that have been through it. Vet advice will be saturday with a real vet. Thanks for being rude tho! Always nice when people make a snarky rude comment, brightens the day right up....
  • gracemleone
    Options
    You smacked an animal and rubbed their nose in it? You do realize that this teaches them nothing but to fear you, right? Not only that, but rubbing an animal's nose in their urine can cause infections. How would you feel if you were old and ill and you had an accident like that and your caretaker smacked you and rubbed your nose in it?! That is horrifying.

Thank you.. I'm glad someone said this!!

And to the OP, I haven't gone through this whole thread so I don't know if someone already said this but considering it is not a medical problem (which you will find out at the vet like you said), it can be a dirty litter box. You say you don't clean the box as often as needed. Think about this, would you want to use a toilet that hasn't been flushed for a few days, especially if you have to put your feet in it?
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    One of our 3 cats has a "spot" they started using. We took the plastic piece from under the desk and placed in the area with the little spike sides up. Every time mowgli went to his corner the spikes bothered his was. Problem fixed. Vet told us it was a behavioral issue but I was on the edge of him finding a new home! Couldn't take the stress anymore!
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that rather than getting a different litter box, you get a low and wide rubbermade container....like a sweater box sized one and use that as a litter box. My mother had that problem, and when I started to have it too, that is what she suggested I do. It worked for us. This is especially helpful for a bigger cat.
  • Starlage
    Options
    wll, so far no more peeing. It's only been 24hrs but thankfully she's used the litter box and is definitely eating and drinking/ peeing and pooing normally. good signs. My little apartment's now basically a big litter box with all of them laying around but oh well, it's worth it. I do love those little critters :o)
  • Starlage
    Options
    I would suggest that rather than getting a different litter box, you get a low and wide rubbermade container....like a sweater box sized one and use that as a litter box. My mother had that problem, and when I started to have it too, that is what she suggested I do. It worked for us. This is especially helpful for a bigger cat.

Thanks for the advice! I'll go there if this doesn't work. Right now I uncovered the original box and added two more boxes around the apartment (and am trying to clean them out once a day if not twice a day)
  • Starlage
    Options
    One of our 3 cats has a "spot" they started using. We took the plastic piece from under the desk and placed in the area with the little spike sides up. Every time mowgli went to his corner the spikes bothered his was. Problem fixed. Vet told us it was a behavioral issue but I was on the edge of him finding a new home! Couldn't take the stress anymore!

Thanks for that advice too! I'll keep that in mind if she keeps peeing outside of the boxes. So far so good though even though it's only been 24hrs
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    A visit to the vet is definitely in order. And you really have to clean the litter box. Cats HATE dirty litter boxes. Also, if you cat is afraid of another cat in the house, she might not feel like she has free access to the box all the time. A second box sounds like a good idea. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options

I wish I could have a dog. rental apartment, indoor cats only. I can't toss her outside either. And yeah I worry about cat pee smell! This is probably what got me angry this morning in the first place, thinking of the smell. augh
    Probably won't get your deposit back if the smell lingers and could even be charged extra to remove it. Get a hamster.
  • Starlage
    Options
    acutally the enzymatic cleaners have really effectively removed the smell, but thanks for the lack of sympathy. appreciate it. great words of encouragement...
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    No, I didn't move the box or change litter. Thanks tho! Kennethmgreen... Vet advice? No, fellow pet owner advice from other people that have been through it. Vet advice will be saturday with a real vet. Thanks for being rude tho! Always nice when people make a snarky rude comment, brightens the day right up....
    acutally the enzymatic cleaners have really effectively removed the smell, but thanks for the lack of sympathy. appreciate it. great words of encouragement...

The way some people carry on these days!
    This clip from the Simpsons immediately sprung to mind!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoAiyUduyrY
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Crate training works just as well for cats as dogs.
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Kitty diapers?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Just spread cat litter over your entire house. Problem solved.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Pee pads. When our cat, (Chairman Meow) was a kitten, he would climb into bed and sleep in between my wife and I. Once or twice we woke up to find that he peed in the bed. We started sleeping with a couple of the pads on the bed and he got used to them. then we would gradually move it closer to the litter box until he started using it. It takes time and patience!
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have had cats all of my life (me and my boyfriend have 2 kittens we got in January). From my experience, and talking to the vet a cat will pee/poop outside the litterbox for a couple of reasons. They will do it if stressed, upset, or sick (this includes a move, you being gone too long, or the arrival of a new pet or child). Also once they do it one time, the smell with stay in that spot causing them to think that is where they are supposed to go now. So once they have done it, clean that spot VERY VERY WELL. And get some kind of pet odor destroyer.