The days your extra hungry..

So today I've eaten the same amount of food I normally eat. However, for some reason today I'm extra hungry and trying to resist the urge to go to the snack machines and grab something. Just wondering if anyone has this, where they eat what they normally eat, but fell extra hungry one day... how do I curb the hunger/cravings??

Replies

• auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    I try to put it off.

If that doesn't work, I try to eat some veggies.

It that still doesn't work, I have a treat. One won't kill me or seriously derail me, and some days you just need a fun size Snickers, you know?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Chew gum and drink some water. Often that's enough to satisfy. But if it doesn't, it's okay to eat a bit extra. Maybe your body is needing something.
  • Definitely have those days!!! Usually after a higher calorie burn the day before!
    Try chewing gum for a while, or drinking something (water, diet pop, tea...)
    Are there any healthy options for you at work??
    A packet for soup crackers or anything like that? Any nuts in the vending machine??

GOOD LUCK!
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    I'll generally try and shrug it off and drink plenty of fluids - if I'm still perpetually hungry I figure my body is telling me it needs something and I'll allow myself to eat up to my maintenance intake.
  • Drink 2, or 3, or 5 glasses of water, if you're still hungry
    Drink 2, or 3, or 5 cups of peppermint tea, if you're still hungry
    eat a large amount of fresh veggies, if you're still hungry
    eat some fresh berries, if you're still hungry
    eat some watermelon.

But if you are looking for a non-food related way to get over it, keep your hands busy... coloring book, sketch pad, play dough, lego, knitting....
  • I can totally relate - I occasionally will have days where I am just really freaking hungry (and actually hungry, not thirsty or bored or emotional, etc). I try to satisfy the hunger with something still moderately healthy, but slightly indulgent - a small filet, some dark chocolate covered almonds, etc. I find that something higher in fat and protein helps fight off that intense hunger feeling.

Good luck!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    I read a really good idea today in Allure magazine. It said if you limit the amount of easy to eat processed foods around you, you will snack less because you may not want to put the effort in to peel the fruit, wash it, etc. Maybe that will help? Keep a fruit bowl on your desk?
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    I'll usually stuff my face with something unhealthy and then realize that my body was just wanting water. One of these days I'm going to learn to drink the water first. lol
  • That was my yesterday. I felt like a bottomless pit. Unfortunately, I fed into it (pun intended) and feel crappy today because of it. Mine was caused by a lack of sleep and stress.

Usually though, when I'm just not feeling satisfied, I try to drink flavored fluids rather than just regulra tap water, chew fun flavored gum or eat string cheese.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    sounds like you need some protein.. If you are hungry EAT!! Drink some water first though.. You could just be thirsty :)
  • divegyrl
    divegyrl Posts: 10 Member
    Somedays you just feel hungry, it could be anything but I usually have some water (fizzy with lemon & lime) and that satisfies me :drinker: or a cup of coffee
    Although I do like celery sticks or cherry tomatoes also.
    I have cereal bars (low fat, low GI) that are low enough in calories but have the ability to take 'the edge off'

I don't have the discipline to stop at a handful of nuts! :embarassed: