Sneaking Health into Your Spouses Food. ;-]

Options
My husband "tries" to eat healthy and is blessed with a high metabolism and lean body. But, that does not mean he couldn't eat a little healthier. Couldn't we all? Anyone ever hear of heart disease or cancer? So, I'm always trying to figure out ways to "healthy" up his foods. I recently snuck lentils into his spaghetti sauce. They are a great source of fiber and very nutritious. They don't require soaking like beans so it was super easy. He was poking around, what are these? Just eat it. =] He liked it alot. I rock! =]

If you want to read about other high fiber low carb foods check out my blog post. Thanks.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lanaholt/view/adding-fiber-to-your-diet-for-health-and-weight-loss-145577

Replies

• fbuschur
    Options
    My husband is the same. I try to go healthy, but filling and not light (or he wastes away to nothing.)
  • 3ricaAnn
    Options
    I was measuring my hubbys food and logging it my self and using light and reduced fat things. But now he has started doing tit on his own. I just changed the name of the one I had to the name he wanted he has the app on his phonme and I log everything for him since I know the brands etc. He is doing really good. He can have 2200 calories a day and lost a little over 10 pounds before he realized I was tracking it so I would say it worked
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My guy has like some 6th sense when a healthy bit arrives on his plate. I even made enchiladas once with healthy bits tossed in (green pepper!!) and he SOMEHOW found each and every quarter inch square of green pepper and picked them out, set them on the edge of his plate and threw them away.

:cry:

ugh! I don't know how to get him to eat the dang stuff!

edit: i wanted to add that my guy is not trying to lose weight, he has actually requested info from me on how to gain muscle mass as he is in a healthy BMI but he wants to bulk up... so I figure eating healthy things would be better than 3,000 cals of soda, beer, and pizza.
  • toxicat
    Options
    hahahaha! That's awesome! And a great idea to add lentils... hmmmm... :):)
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My guy has like some 6th sense when a healthy bit arrives on his plate. I even made enchiladas once with healthy bits tossed in (green pepper!!) and he SOMEHOW found each and every quarter inch square of green pepper and picked them out, set them on the edge of his plate and threw them away.

Sounds like my husband. He notices! I thought about trying the lentils in spaghetti sauce thing, but I know somehow he'd figure it out... and then refuse to eat it.
  • JessieLU
    Options
    My boyfriend eats so much food all the time, but we both work out a lot and he plays a lot of sports so he's in really good shape. I use turkey instead of hamburger in a lot of food especially if there's some sort of sauce. He can't even tell most of the time. I also like to use half turkey half hamburger. I sneak lots of veggies into meals that have sauces, like spaghetti and lasagna. I use lots of different spices to make food taste better without adding extra fats and I use EVOO instead of veggie oil. I love cooking and want us both to be healthy, too bad I can't control his chinese food addiction....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My husband would like to live on nothing pizza, macaroni and cheese and chicken wings. I just tell him he's a grown man but I thought he was smarter than that, but I'm not buying or cooking any of that crap (except on special occasions). Since he hates to go to the grocery store and I'm a great cook, he eats the healthy stuff. Now if I could just get him to exercise regularly and drink a little less beer...
  • bcattoes
    Options

Sounds like my husband. He notices! I thought about trying the lentils in spaghetti sauce thing, but I know somehow he'd figure it out... and then refuse to eat it.

Put sauces in the blender if you really want to hide the healthy stuff. No one is going to pick out veggies that have been pureed.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I make most of my sauces from scratch as I've severe food allergies so 'convenience' foods don't work for me. I have always run carrots, cauliflower and spinach through the blender/food processor and then added the puree to my tomatoes to make marinara. When my son questioned the 'green bits' I told him they were the herbs he saw Mummy chop up. It wasn't until they were adults and wanted my recipe as they both disliked the jarred stuff that I was busted! :laugh:
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I don't sneak... I cook healthy and I portion the food. the end. If he wants to eat that's what he gets. If he wants garbage he can grab something on the way home. I turned a man who "hated" spinach, anything reduced fat, egg whites and pretty much any other healthy "alternative" into a lover of Shrimp and spinach enchiladas with reduced fat mozzarella, veggie frittatas made with egg whites and a whole host of other things he "didn't like" before.

I'm a firm believer it's all in how it's cooked. I get not liking certain things because of texture (can't eat chicken skin that isn't crispy- totally grosses me out), or they give you heart burn (too many bell peppers will do me in) or something like that but you can't say you "hate" spinach just because the only kind you've ever tasted was plopped out of a can and microwaved...

Anyway- Here's to healthy lives and healthy spouses! :drinker:
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was measuring my hubbys food and logging it my self and using light and reduced fat things. But now he has started doing tit on his own. I just changed the name of the one I had to the name he wanted he has the app on his phonme and I log everything for him since I know the brands etc. He is doing really good. He can have 2200 calories a day and lost a little over 10 pounds before he realized I was tracking it so I would say it worked

Glad I'm not the only wife who has thought about doing this lol! I logged a 'normal' day for him yesterday and then I was pretty tempted to start a profile for him...
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options

If he refused to eat it then you should tell him he can cook his own food lol
  • 3ricaAnn
    Options

Glad I'm not the only wife who has thought about doing this lol! I logged a 'normal' day for him yesterday and then I was pretty tempted to start a profile for him...

The first time I logged he went way way over and i had it set at over 2500! He does a lot snacking and he was drinking 32 oz gatorade and soda at work. No he has wraps and water and a 20 oz gatorade for lunch and I told him he has to stop gettignstuff on his way home from work (drinks snacks) . His activity level is on very active because he works on ships, painting and clean up and works 6-7 days a week. he has lost weight faster than me
    no that he is tracking himself he is trying to stay under 2000 and is doing good at it i just have to make everything and measure it
  • 3ricaAnn
    Options
    The only thing healthy my hubby refuses to eat is fat free ranch. He has always liked veggies so eating healthy is not a problem unless we have salad. he literally put 200+ calories of just ranch! He has agreed to eat light ranch but it is still 200 calories and he refuses to eat less of it. I bake alot of meats and use the extra lean hamburger, I'm not ready to try turkey yet :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

That wouldn't work with my husband. He's a fantastic cook and cooks as much as I do. We usually prepare dinner together. But he's not a shopper so he has to cook what I bring home.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Put sauces in the blender if you really want to hide the healthy stuff. No one is going to pick out veggies that have been pureed.

Then he'd question why I used the blender! haha... he's too observant when I cook.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Then he'd question why I used the blender! haha... he's too observant when I cook.

He has refused, and proceeded to drive down to the convenience store to buy a ready-made pizza or the like. And yes, he would definitely be weary if I used the blender for anything!