Options
    I hate everyone

I disagree.
    i disagree, but only if my disagreeing means i hate everyone

I agree
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    hating ~ namecalling, because a person is not clever enough to come up with something of worthy debatability
    disagreeing ~ not agreeing with one says, with mature, logical debates
    THIS!!! Some people really don't know the difference and take it personal.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Some people take disagreement as some sort of personal judgment. It's like I told my mother when my son was born: "I'm not taping a quarter to his belly button. This is not because I think YOU are stupid because that's what you did. I just think it's a stupid thing to do." There's a difference. Subtle, but distinct.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Some people take disagreement as some sort of personal judgment. It's like I told my mother when my son was born: "I'm not taping a quarter to his belly button. This is not because I think YOU are stupid because that's what you did. I just think it's a stupid thing to do." There's a difference. Subtle, but distinct.

Umm. Uh. Huh.

Okay, I'll ask.

Why would one tape a quarter to a newborn's belly button?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Some people don't like it when someone disagrees with them. That's why they throw out the term "hater". So they can effectively end any discussion on the subject and write the other person off. The people who do that have very a very fragile sense of self. They won't hear any ideas contrary to the ones they hold dear. They view different opinions or views as a threat to their well being. It's sad really.
  • livnlite
    Options
    Hating vs Disagreeing = apples vs oranges.

Hating is an emotion
    Disagreeing is a point of view

I don't get the connection.

I think there are few things that I can actually say I hate
    To name a few:
    I hate cruelty (to people and to animals) .. I think I can wrap that up with abuse of anykind as well
    I hate being extemely cold, hungry or angry .. combining the 1st two will always result in the last one

Then there is a list of many things I love, like and dislike ... Too many to count

There is an even longer list of things I disagree with .. or agree with... again, too many to count.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I hate that I haven't won the lottery yet....

I hate that I don't have super-human metabolism that would allow me to eat crappy food all day and remain sleek and slim....

I hate that my car STILL has hail-damage from this past spring and we STILL can't shell out the bucks to repair it...

I DISAGREE that "DIET" is a bad word - I use it all the time to deflect the food-pushers in my life... "no thank you, that's not on my diet this week". (others will disagree with this and say that, for them, it IS a "bad word", and I'm totally OK with that!)

Thoughts?

:drinker:

Ice
  • maidentl
    Options

Hell if I know! Something about the umbilical cord. In fact, i don't know where the heck my MIL found it, but she was in on this action and actually bought me this strap that you were supposed to put on the baby to hold it in place!

OK, I did find this by googling:

http://www.thefastertimes.com/pediatrics/2010/01/13/baby-myth-1-tape-a-bellybutton-cure-an-umbilical-hernia/

But, uh, he didn't HAVE a hernia. Old people. SMH
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I disagree with hating...that is all.
  • Aj1214
    Aj1214 Posts: 120
    Options
    I hate that we have to define the word "hate" in a public forum full of "adults."
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    128752193790478637.jpg
    Ahh, killa, you just made my day!
  • ncgatorfan
    Options
    I hate that we have to define the word "hate" in a public forum full of "adults."

BINGO!!!!!!!!!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options

Hell if I know! Something about the umbilical cord. In fact, i don't know where the heck my MIL found it, but she was in on this action and actually bought me this strap that you were supposed to put on the baby to hold it in place!

OK, I did find this by googling:

http://www.thefastertimes.com/pediatrics/2010/01/13/baby-myth-1-tape-a-bellybutton-cure-an-umbilical-hernia/

But, uh, he didn't HAVE a hernia. Old people. SMH

How would it even cure a hernia?
  • maidentl
    Options
    How would it even cure a hernia?

*shrug* You can see why I refused to do it. But that's my point, she couldn't understand that I just thought the idea was stupid. Not her personally.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hating is emotional
    Disagreeing is rational
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you're using the word "hating". If you're using it as meaning the opposite of love, then it's an emotion. We should be able to disagree with one another without hating each other. If you're using it like "Don't be hatin'", then it's more like jealousy and trying to bash someone to make yourself feel better.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Hating is emotional
    Disagreeing is rational

Perfect.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Hating is directed at the other party
    Disagreeing is focused on the topic
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I HATE poutines.

I disagree with mayo on french fries

But I LOVE poutine. I disagree with mayo in general. But gravy and cheese on fries? BRING IT ON!

Wait. Am I hating on you now?

WRONG WRONG WRONG.... mayo on french fries is the only way to go! What the heck is a poutine???

Am I hating, ignorant, or both?

The sun rises at night, zebras have spots, and Santa Claus is real.

Even if you disagree with my thoughts and think I'm a total idiot, why would you get so upset about it? My words don't impact your life, you can tell me that politely and move on. Same thing when people get irritated about repetitive questions (for example the dreaded: should I eat my exercise calories. If you don't like the topic, don't open the thread.

AND MAYO ON FRIES STILL RULES!!!!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    ...true support is not candy coating everything and just telling people what they want to hear
    IMO one of the biggest problems in the world to day its the overyly sensitive,cry baby attitude that has everyone walking on eggs shells in day to day life for fear of offending someone or makeing them feel bad..............ok im stopping before i get on a big ole rant hahaha

I support these statements! I would differentiate between walking on eggshells and being respectful of one's audience and surroundings, though. Respecting the sensitivities of others - good. Adapting behavior depending on the given environment - good. Walking on eggshells - very bad.