Morning Cardio: After eating or on an empty stomach?

Options
What do you guys find works best for you if you're trying to lose fat and retain as much lean mass as possible, cardio on an empty stomach in the am, or after breakfast/a snack? I've looked at studies backing each of these, and would like to get a feel for what others think based on their own experiences. Thanks! :-D

Replies

• aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    fasted cardio - EVERY AM...
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I eat one hour before exercising and then within an hour after.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of chocolate milk (~8 ounces) in the morning, about 20 minutes, before I work out. Then once I get to work, I eat my breakfast which is usually oatmeal with something mixed in (dried berries, cinnamon, etc.). I personally can't workout on an empty stomach. I end up feeling light headed and my workouts aren't any good.
  • zombiehunter71
    Options
    I actually have an Atkins shake first thing in the morning and pack a piece of fruit to have during my cardio. I usually bike ride and we do that for about 2 hours or so each Sunday. When I get home and clean up then I will get myself a small breakfast. It seems to work well and then I am not starving at lunch.
  • steveg44
    Options
    You should have something at least 30 mins prior to your workout. Your body has fasted all night long and is starving for some protein. If your like me i dont care much for a big breakfast first thing in the morning. Try drinking a protein shake or something fairly light to get your metabolism jump started. This will actually help you burn more calories througout the day.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person and what people can tolerate. Me personally, when I get up early to workout (4:30am), I don't have time to eat before I workout. Though, for some people, they may feel sick not eating a little something.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    "For the lean trying to get very lean (15% body fat or less for men, 22% or less for women), various strategies, including fasted cardio are probably going to be required to offset the mobization and blood flow defects. That’s why that specific group found decades ago that fasted morning cardio worked best. And why I wrote The Stubborn Fat Solution since it deals with how to overcome all of the problems.

But for folks who aren’t that lean yet, the folks in the middle range of body fat levels, it really doesn’t matter. The best time to do cardio will be whenever it will most consistently get done. If that’s first thing in the morning, fantastic. If not, also fantastic. It’s more important in this situation that it gets done than when it gets done."

www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Usually just coffee on the way to the gym, then I shower, dress and head to work where I eat as soon as humanly possible. If I've worked out really hard, I sometimes dive into a granola bar in the car before I get to work.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I rarely ever eat before I workout in the mornings. If Im starving, my workout will probably end sooner than later so I'll have some juice to settle my stomach until after my workout. You should also be drinking water during your workout so that should at least suppress your hunger too.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio and fasted weight training has really helped me shed the last 10-15lbs!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i feel better if i workout in the early morning before i eat. i guess i'd fall into the lean trying to get leaner category, but i don't feel lean at 18% bf. at any rate, if i wait until after i've eaten (or even hydrated) i tend to feel too full and am uncomfortable the whole time.
  • Wingmistress
    Options
    In the morning, I work out before I eat. Then after I'm showered and at my desk, I have breakfast.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,703 Member
    Options
    To save lean muscle and burn more fat, I do fasted cardio at a very moderate level (65%-75% of my max heart rate) for about 30-45 minutes. Too high and I can catabolize lean muscle tissue.
  • heatherzotigh
    Options
    if its's short cardio session do it fasted--if it's gonna be long 45+ minutes then eat before hand--you'll have more energy to workout longer and won't burn your muscle.. but if you can only get in a quick session do on an empty stomach...
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    depends on the time... i prefer on mostly an empty stomach... but by 9am or so, i am hungry. just try having something small and ideally with some protein.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Does ephedrine plus caffeine count as empty or not empty?
  • pourmasanté107
    Options
    ehh i like to eat a few hours after.
  • Mkrug221
    Options
    I can't eat anything substantial if I'm going to be doing cardio in the morning. It makes me sick. So I either eat nothing or eat a string cheese before working out.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm on my last 5-6 lbs that I want to lose so I will probably stick to fasted cardio. I'm doing this based on the idea that I can delve into my fat stores for energy instead of depending on the energy I derive from eating pre-workout. I appreciate all the feedback! :smile: keep it coming if you all have any more! :)
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    @Acg67

You've quoted Lyle McD's stuff several times. I like the cut of your jib and award you 100 cool points. His site should be required reading for people on this forum. Would cut down on 80 percent of the questions and about 100 percent of the myths perpetuated here.