Question for runners?!

Options
I started the C25K program in July 2011 and by the end of August, I was able to run my first 5K. My time was 43.50 for my first run, I believe it would have been maybe a minute or two shorter had teh crowd not been so crazy at the beginning. I am in week 2 of the C25K again, trying to work on my time and get faster. So far, the most I have been able to run on my own is 5 miles. That took me a little over an hour. However I want to be able to go faster. Any tips on how to get your time down or pick up your speed without killing yourself? I am still new to running but I have found I love it so much. I just feel like I am so slow with my time.

Replies

• slbeutler
    Options
    You can google it, but there is a method called the fartlek (or something like that) and it is a training method to help you increase your speed on long distance runs. I have done it and it works.
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well I would recommend throwing in a little speed work a once a week. For instance run 200meter sprints... run 8 of them and a one mile warm up and a one mile cool down. But do not do a speed work out the same week as a race.

And way to go by the way! Running, no matter what distance or pace, is an accomplishment! Something to be proud of!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Fartleks or intervals..
    Speed workouts are great. You should be able to do a quick search on speed intervals for runners and find something that will fit into your current workout schedule.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Try substituting "slow run" for "walking" and "fast run" for "run" in the C25K program to build up your speed.
  • Spearo
    Options
    Interval training once per week will boost your speed faster than anything. IE: Light jog for 10 minutes followed by 10 sessions of this: 1 minute very fast run followed by 1 minute very slow jog. 10 minute light jog home at the end to cool down. There are tons of variations on this. Google it and see what you come up with. But I guarantee your speed will improve :)
  • As was just mentioned, the fartlek (widipedia explains it pretty good) is a good method, running sprints also makes a huge difference. Varying up your routine to shock your body into getting results is the best way to go, but be aware of the possibility of injury. If you do feel like you may have injured something, stop immediately and allow it to heal.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    There is a group called the Furman Institute of Running that has EXCELLENT programs for increasing your speed in long distance competition running. I highly recommend doing a little research with this organization and the programs they advocate. Their methods greatly helped me increase my speed, and as a bonus, introducing those speed workouts really super charged by weight loss.

Here's a 10k program link...

http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/10K Training Program-metric.pdf
  • tebumgarner
    Options
    You need to add in speedwork, hills or tempo runs once a week. I've found this article and calculator to be an awesome tool for knowing what pace you should be training at: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-training-pace-calculator/1676.html

It also describes the different kinds of runs that you can do. I would start with 400's (once around a track/about 1/4 a mile) and do about 6 of them with rest in between at the "speed form" pace the calculator gives you. I've found it to be very helpful to pick up the speed.
  • dHowe4406
    Options
    I like to do run intervals to help with speed. I do two a week.

On Tuesday I do 8 400 meter runs. I'm doing them all under 2 minutes, depending on how fast you are it will change your time for the 400 meter.

On Friday I do something similar but first I start out at the pace I want to run for 3 miles. I run that for as long as I can, I'm at about 1.5 miles now. Then when I stop I walk for 2 minutes. After the 2 minutes are up I start to run again at the pace I want to run, this time it wont be as far. So as I feel like I can't keep that pace up I stop again and walk for 2 minutes. I repeat this till the total distance of running and walking is 3 miles.

This as worked for me. Good luck with your running.
  • outersoul
    Options
    From my research, fartleks are the way to go. In fact I'm going to start them myself to build my speed.
  • dbgrl100
    dbgrl100 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I played sports, we had to do fartleks once a week. We basically would jog nonstop for 40 min, except every time the coach blew the whistle (which was like every 2-3 min), we would have to sprint as hard as we could for about 15-25 seconds, then return to jogging. Alternatively, sometimes we would have to throw our bodies to the floor and get back up on the whistle, etc. No breaks at all. The first time nearly killed me, haha. I couldn't walk for 3 days, my legs hurt that bad. But they get you into crazy shape and increase your endurance exponentially after 2-3 weeks.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Think of running as building a house. There is the Foundation, which is Endurance... this should count for about 70% of your training. There is the walls, which is Strength training... this should count for about 20% of your training and probably is Hill training. And there is the Peak or Roof of the House... your Speed training, which should account for the remaining 10%.

A good training program will incorporate all three aspects which will lead to you being a faster runner.

I coach 10K clinics. Normally we will only do one of strenth training or speed training a week (we alternate). When we build a training program for someone, it is usually centered around their goals.
    Hypothetically if you were training for a 10K. You would create a 10 or 12 week program that would consist of 4-5 runs per week with varied runs (paces are subject to your goal and physical abilities) which progresses to longer distances over time (i.e start at 2 miles for a steady run in week 1, and build to 6 miles in week 10.)

An example would be;

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - Steady Run (race pace -30 or -40 seconds a mile)
    Wednesday - Hills\Speed Training
    Thursday - Steady Run. (race pace -30 or -40 seconds a mile)
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - Tempo Run (basically 5-10 minutes easy pace/20 minutes hard pace/5-10 minutes easy pace)
    Sunday - Long Slow Run. (race pace -2 minutes per mile)

Hope that makes sense... please feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Regards,
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Fartleks and tempo runs. Also important to incorporate strength training. That builds muscle and increases your endurance
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    I also recommend the fartleks. But that's just because its such a cool name.

"Do you want to go to a movie with me ? Or maybe we could grab a coffee ?"

"No, I think I'd rather just fartlek."

Anyway, as a non-runner with memories from high school long, long ago.... If you do decide to try any speed work, one thing you might think about is _where_ to do it. Just jogging along at a comfy pace is fine on the street, but for running fast, you might want to look for a track or a grassy sports field (football, soccer, park, etc.) As long as you feel safe, a middle school might be ideal (lots of them, not used much after hours). I always found grass to be a lot kinder to my body than hard pavement. And if you are running hard and fast, the last thing you want to worry about is cars, stop signs, uneven or sloping surfaces, etc.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw you a curve ball.

Run slower...

But... run a bit further and maybe add one more session per week if your legs can stand it. and each week add a little more. slowly but surely.

Sound counter intuitive? Well if your a beginner/fairly new to running speed work is the last thing you need. The more you run and the further you run the more your body will gradually adapt to the running and you will slowly become more efficient, more technically proficient and faster at the same effort level.

As an above poster mentioned, it's your base fitness and it is the what you build speed on top of.

Adding too much speed work to soon can hurt you unless your body/legs are ready for it.

Most runners do to much intensity and not enough steady miles, they run their steady runs too fast and their speed work/high intensity too slow and easy.

One caveat, this will make you a better runner long term, if you dream of running fast races or long distances do what I suggest, after researching it more if you wish, if you just want to run for fitness or calorie burn then jog on whatever way you wish. :)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I frequently do my speedwork on the treadmill. My sprints are anywhere from 400m to 1 mi, so I find that it works nicely when I don't have access to the track or good weather.

I would not recommend sprints on uneven surfaces. Tempo runs, sure, but not sprints.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Fartleks or intervals..
    Speed workouts are great. You should be able to do a quick search on speed intervals for runners and find something that will fit into your current workout schedule.

Preach on

Also now that you are running 5k's, find your best 1km and half km time and try to beat them each week, after a 5 minute warm up.

Great many good running programs out there. All pretty much involve a mix of longer sprints, intervals, and long steady runs.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I was going to ask the same question so I'm taking on some of this advice.

Best!