Hey, Tall/Long Armed Ladies! Where Do You Find Winter Coats

Options
Matiara
Matiara Posts: 377 Member
Though I'm tall, my torso is normal. However, I have very long arms and long sleeved tops, jackets, and coats give me fits. I don't know how many times I've found a nice top or a cute jacket, only to have it fit perfectly and fall 3-4 inches short on my arms.

I bought a winter coat from Burlington Coat Factory in the late 90s. It's warm, completely waterproof, has a Nanoonk of the North hood that I don't feel a thing through when it's windy, and most importantly, the sleeves come all the way to my wrists. Since I only use it a few months out of the year, it has lasted me this long. While the quality has not diminished and I would gladly wear it another 10 years, it now has stains that the dry cleaner can't get out and it's time to replace it.

I've looked everywhere for a replacement and haven't been able to find one. I found a London Fog jacket in Macy's that was perfect until I tried it on and of course, the sleeves.

So, where do guys shop for coats? I'm at the point where where I'm thinking of buying a man's coat. I have a feeling that I will end up going to Eddie Bauer and paying extra for a tall size, but wondered if there were less pricey alternatives out there that I'm not aware of.

Replies

• LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think it is a hit and miss thing, unless you can make your own, or but a coat you like and take it to a tailors to have it altered.
  • OhhMommy
    Options
    i have the same problem, and have often found the best coats at ski shops (off season on clearance of course, so that i could afford them). they tend to be longer and made for alot of moving and activity. i have never found a coat off of a regular store rack that fit in the arm length. they are starting to make some pretty trendy snowboard/ski coats now too. yay!
  • earaeslehc
    Options
    I'd love to know if you get any good replies - i have this same problem. My only solution was to find some awesome, elbow-length leather gloves to cover the gap!
  • kkuhly
    kkuhly Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issues!!! Last year I ended up breaking down and buying a mens jacket. It is really warm and fits nice in the arms but it is too big everywhere else so it kinda looks frumpy. I know JC Pennys sells tall clothes and sometimes Maurices has really cute jackets. Until I lose some of this wait I am going to stick with the man coat I am now wearing and then splurge later on with a well fitted coat. Good luck on this "fun" adventure!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    a lot of places have started making "tall" coats for women. I think eddie bauer has a few, may want to check columbia too. I don't find the torso that much longer, but the arms fit better. I have a sweater from eddie bauer too that fits so well because it is a tall.

didn't fully read your post, sorry. Eddie bauer products are worth the price for me since they last a really long time and fit so well. I usually wear my coats for a few years at least. I did find a coat at jcpennys last year on super sale in december. It fits really well, but it did take trying on like every coat to find it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Hope you get good replies. My suggestion would be an outdoorsy kind of store, but then the selection isn't exactly pretty.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Well, within the next couple of weeks, I'll be going to an outlet mall in my area that has a Burlington, Nordstrom Rack, and Eddie Bauer outlet among other things. Maybe there's more selection now with it being so close to winter weather and I'll find something with long enough sleeves. Futile hope is all I have anymore.

If I don't find a coat there, I'm just going to have to suck up the expense of Eddie Bauer and tell myself that I won't need coat for another 12 years.

This coat:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=40603&prodsearch=6&cm_cg=T95&oessoa=6046151&cm_mmc=CSE-_-Google Product Search-_-Women's Outerwear|Parkas-_-1032303&CAWELAID=991694911

is a lot like the one I have now, but holy moly on that price. I'm on Eddie Bauer's e-mail list and I'm keeping my eye out for a *really* good discount offer.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've had luck with Old Navy dot com's tall department. I've got a couple of really cute jackets and a coat. I've got that same problem. Find a really cute coat that fits everywhere except... And then I look like Lurch. *sigh* Not a cute look.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Tall girl, Alloy.com...