I'm gaining weight not losing it!

So I'm trying to be healthier this year. I am 5'6" and usally weigh 168 pounds. I started running about 3 years ago and usually run about 2 miles or so. This resulted in rapid weight loss three years ago but nothing since. I assume that my body got used to the running. So this year, I thought I'd try something different. I went to my fitness pal and put in my goals. The system spit out that I should be eating 1200 calories a day. So that is what I've been doing. I also started aerobics and weight training since I figured this would help as my body is not used to it. And with all the calories burned from the exercising, I've actually been coming in well under 1200 calories. This has been goind on for 5 days now. I got on the scale and I've actually gained 5 lbs. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• holly333
    holly333 Posts: 24 Member
    So I'm trying to be healthier this year. I am 5'6" and usally weigh 168 pounds. I started running about 3 years ago and usually run about 2 miles or so. This resulted in rapid weight loss three years ago but nothing since. I assume that my body got used to the running. So this year, I thought I'd try something different. I went to my fitness pal and put in my goals. The system spit out that I should be eating 1200 calories a day. So that is what I've been doing. I also started aerobics and weight training since I figured this would help as my body is not used to it. And with all the calories burned from the exercising, I've actually been coming in well under 1200 calories. This has been goind on for 5 days now. I got on the scale and I've actually gained 5 lbs. What am I doing wrong?
  • rissa1322
    rissa1322 Posts: 107
    two things could be happening.. and its probably both

1. u are gaining muscle that is making you gain pds.. do you feel thinner? how do your clothes feel? thas a good judger

2. u arent eating enough to fulfill your calories for the day so your body is holding onto the weight(i did this too). the 1200 is what u are sopposed to eat if you do NO excercise. Say you do 400 calories of excersise a day.. you are sopposed to add those calories and eat 1600.. Sometimes i dont always hit the 1600 but.. you have remember to ALWAYS eat at least 1200 or your body will go to starvation.

hope that helped.. i did the same thing at first and wasnt losing and i was soo confused

ris
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    You're gaining muscle! See the posts on eating too few calories. You need to eat enough to keep your metabolism up. So make sure you are eating the 1200 calories plus some when you work out. This is important. Maybe you should start measuring inches to see you progress. Muscle weighs more than fat and may be why you aren't seing the scale go down...up in fact. So, hang in there. You are doing something good for your body and you will see results eventually. Good luck!:bigsmile:

*Kistinbee*
  • holly333
    holly333 Posts: 24 Member
    But I know it is not possible to gain 5 pounds of muscle in 5 days. I'm wondering if my body is going into starvation mode. Can that happen this quickly? Maybe I'm just retaining water or something. All I know is that it is very frustrating...
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    You could be retaining water., so drink tons of water to help flush your system. But remember that you are not helping you metabolism by eating less calories. Just stick to it and you will start to eventually lose.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    I understand the frustration. Water may very possibly be part of it. Also, if you've eaten heavy foods in the past few days, it can make the scale rise. Is this the first time you've weighed yourself in 5 days? Try weighing yourself again tomorrow. The scale may go down. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Give you body at least a week or so to get used to the new lifestyle. No worries!!

*Kistinbee*