Bike to lose weight? Nope!

Options
2»

Replies

• ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of cyclists and they've all been really fit and none of them had eating disorders. I don't know if I'd be getting the essential exercise I need to compliment my new food and nutrition plan with just walking alone if I didn't have my bike. I could work out, but it doesn't fit into my way of life as much as cycling does. Plus the bike was a heck of a lot better investment and roi than joining a gym :bigsmile:
    LOL!!! I think the poster who mentioned 'ED' meant 'erectile dysfunction,' not 'eating disorder ;)
    roflmfao im sorry but thats halarious (the confusion part not the ED of any kind lol) and also i love my bike but you have to eat right too :P
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options

Oh get yourself a gel saddle and some decent pants or cycle shots.

I know plenty of cyclists and they've all been really fit and none of them had eating disorders. I don't know if I'd be getting the essential exercise I need to compliment my new food and nutrition plan with just walking alone if I didn't have my bike. I could work out, but it doesn't fit into my way of life as much as cycling does. Plus the bike was a heck of a lot better investment and roi than joining a gym :bigsmile:

But great post and blog nonetheless, OP :flowerforyou:
    ED stands for erectile dysfunction.:laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Oh get yourself a gel saddle and some decent pants or cycle shots.

But great post and blog nonetheless, OP :flowerforyou:
    ED stands for erectile dysfunction.:laugh:
  • anitadues
    anitadues Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about just biking 'cause it's fun?:smile:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    the reality is that you can't out-train bad eating....no matter what exercise you are doing.

Someone should tell my husband that. He eats a minimum of 6000 calories per day of junk, including fast food, and an absurd amount of red meat. Yet he's a powerlifter, competes in major events, has under 20% body fat, great cholesterol, etc. I kept waiting for his awful eating to catch up with him, but he consistently out trains it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    [LOL!!! I think the poster who mentioned 'ED' meant 'erectile dysfunction,' not 'eating disorder ;)
    Well I just took a wild stab in the dark here... ED = Early Death, Eating Disorder, Etheral Dogma, talking horse???

Please, call a spade a spade :bigsmile:

... all the cyclists I know are also fathers ... and I certainl don't need any blue pills :laugh:
    http://men.webmd.com/features/biking-and-erectile-dysfunction-a-real-risk

Just to let you know it's not just an out of the blue stab in the dark.
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree that exercise alone won't do it. But as part of the whole lifestyle change my biking has done wonders for the weight loss. And it is nice to have at least one form of exercise that I love to do. It doesn't seem like a punishment if you actually look forward to it all the time. lol
    Congrats on all of your success.
  • narenn
    Options
    Stationary biking was my only source of cardio for 6 weeks. Lost me my first 20+ pounds...
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Cycling helped me lose about 80 pounds over about 2 years. I only cycled to get to places and that was the only exercise I did for a very long time. I used to live in the Netherlands where it is normal to cycle for an hour or more a day. The only change I made was by eating better.
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Heh, I don't think everyone who's commenting actually read your blog post, and they're just commenting on the title...lol

To address the content of your post: Fantastic plug for MFP, and for the importance of eating right! Great stuff! And congratulations on your weight loss and your new life style!
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I read it but should have addressed.

I used to hate when people asked me the weight loss secret. You are right, the only way to really lose is to eat well for your body. Great read!
  • elemstuck
    Options
    This thread couldn't be more correct. I ride my bike 15 miles each day. It has helped me to lose nearly 50lbs over the past 7 months. However, as my diet has edged towards the bad side lately, the weight loss has stopped. I haven't gained any weight, but am not currently losing either.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm not into bike riding because of the pressure it puts pressure on the johnson. ED is higher in athletes who bike for exercise than for those who don't.
    Leather Brooks Saddle or many good anatomical vinyl saddles take care of that.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you gotta eat less too. But look at it this way - it is a lot cheaper to lose weight than buy a lighter bike. That's why I don't care that my commuting bike weight 40 lbs what with the folding baskets, fenders, and generally being a 1974 Raleigh. When I am at my goal weight, I might buy a lightweight.