30DS & strength training

Options
I already do weight lifting 3x a week and want to add more cardio on those days, but I need to break it up since my weights takes me 45minutes to an hour already. I was thinking of a DVD that I could do in the morning, and I already own 30DS, although I only did it once or twice. If I back the hand weights off to 5 pounders would this be light enough not to interfere with my weight training later in the day? Or should I go with no hand weights?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you're lifting when doing your strength training. If you're lifting heavy weights (relative to your weight) then 5 pounders would be good while doing your cardio. But remember...fatigue interferes with your ability to recover and progress with the strength training.

How much are you currently lifting when doing squats, lunges, deadlifts, shoulder presses and bench presses?
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do 135# for squats, for lunges I hold 20# dumbbells, for deadlifts I do 70# (yes, I should try harder there), shoulder presses is 20# but I have a little bit of an injury in my shoulder so I don't push those harder right now. I don't do bench presses, I just do regular manly style push ups - I can do 3 sets of 8 with proper form.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I would say 5 pounders would be fine. It will help keep your heart rate elevated and burn more calories. Go for it!