Lifting weights - should I be sore afterwards?

Probably a silly question but should I be sore after doing weights in the gym? I'm never sore. Don't know tbh if this is good or bad.

I do weights (machine and free) as part of my normal gym programme and then do 30min pump/tone after spin on a wednesday.

I do:

- 4 sets of 15 reps at 50lbs. Do lat pulldown, chest press and seated row machine.

- free weights. 3kg's in each hand. bicep curl - 40 -2 sets
shoulder press - 40 - 2 sets
kettlebell - (can't find the name, don't rem the weight I use. Doh!)

I am rarely sore anywhere afterwards or the next day. Am I doing enough, is this normal? I just want to tone and I am pretty toned already. I also drink a protein shake after the gym.

Thanks

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Immediately after? Is it soreness all over, one specific spot, joint pain? need to be more specific here.
  • You shouldn't be sore immediately following your workout but the next day you should be.

Up your weight and lower your rep range and do around 3 sets for each exercise.
  • I always ask my trainer or someone else who works at the gym. Usually my soreness is "normal" but we are all differrnt.:smile::smile:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    really - 80 bicep curls and you're not sore? you must be in pretty good shape, I wouldn't be able to use my arms the next day LOL
    I didn't think it's supposed to hurt forever either, I thought surely it would get 'comfortable' for me at some point. I mean, Jillian Michaels isn't in pain all the time, right?
    someone?
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    It's possible you're not challenging yourself enough if you've been doing the same reps/weights for a while.

Keep in mind...15reps should mean it's physically impossible for you to do 16, 17, 18 and so on.

If you're hitting 4 sets of 15 easily...bump your weight up by 5lbs and see if you can shoot for 15 again.

On the Free weights, the same applies. 2 sets of 40 using 6lbs won't give you as much of a challenge. Try using 5k or 6 k (10-12) lbs and do as many as you can...(rather than a set number).

A side to that however, is that when you get your protein in immediately after your workout as you say you are, it does help kick-start the recovery and promotes protein synthesis so this could help in reducing soreness as well.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    most of the advice I've gotten has been that you should target being about to do about 3 sets of any where from 12-15 reps. At the end of a set, you should feel like you could perhaps to 1 or 2 more, but not more than that. If you feel like you could just keep going on and on, then increase your weights.
  • Are your muscles fatigued by the last set? If not, up your weights.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    When I'm new to a specific exercise I will be sore the next day, and probably the next 2-3 times I do that exercise. Once I get used to it though I'm not sore unless it was a workout alot more intense than the usual, or involved something different.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    You should be sore at least the next day. If you're not, you should really increase your weight. If working out is ever comfortable, chances are you're not doing much good for your body. Working out should be about making your comfort zone BIGGER... which means you have to jump out of it a little bit to get to that point.

I see you're doing 2 sets of 40 for only 3 different types of exercises, is that right? Are you only working your arms? If you want to be toned, you can do high reps, low weights but it needs to at least be enough that you feel like you can't go on at some point but honestly, if you want to be STRONG, you should lift heavier weights. Lift heavy enough that you can do no more than 8-12 reps. When that gets too easy, go heavier.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    I would lower the reps to 10-12 and increase the weights. If you want to see a change in your body, you need to push hard enough that you're a little sore the next day (and maybe even the day after that).
  • No, I'm never sore. My arms would be whilst doing them but not a whole lot. The seated row machine is the worst and this does hurt my arms alright. I would be kinda struggling to do the last few on each machine so I am pushing myself but I think I could do more.

My arms/shoulders are fairy toned already. I concentrate mostly on my arms as I've dodgey knees so doing leg press etc hurts them a bit. Arms/shoulders/chest are what I work on.

I do the weights 2-3 times a week plus tone class after spin once a week.

Hmmmm maybe I need to up the weights and lower reps so.

thanks for all the replies.