In your opinion...Sweet Tea?

Options
Okay friends...what is your opinion? I LOVE sweet tea...I have been avoiding it b/c of the sugar and calories in it. I have been in quite the funk b/c of it. I decided today that I was going to drink it and not add it to my food journal. If I begin to exercise more, then It will help to balance the extra calories from the tea. I know I am trying to rationalize this, but after 3 weeks, I am ready to give up. I think I can stick with it better If I can do it this way. Thoughts?????

Replies

• staceyb00
    staceyb00 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give in the sweet tea craving. Make your own tea and use stevia to sweeten. Makes it taste just as good as sweet and isn't artificial. I find if I justify one thing it makes it easier to justify others. Either way - you should enter it into your diary. It will help keep track of where the extra calories are coming from.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Dont make it with sugar use an artifical sweetener and it wont have near as many cals
  • KaeChelle
    Options
    If you must have it, log it in your food journal. You don't have to deprive yourself of everything you love, but record it and make sure it fits into your calorie goals! I have some from time to time, but it goes in my food log.
  • Starleng1
    Options
    I would just add it in your diary and record your exercising. If the exercising is not enough just bump it up take care of it. If you start not adding things...you could start not adding a lot of things and you may not be getting enough exercise to cover it. just my two cents...Starleng
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I make sun tea and add Splenda+ fiber and it is DELICIOUS!!
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you log it...seems silly when you know you've consumed something...

Have you tried Stevia as a replacement for the sugar? I know it's difficult to give up sweet tea but it can be done, just ask my DH!
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I say if you try it and it helps you to stay on track and doesn't slow down or stop your weight loss then I say go for it. I am a Dr Pepper addict and I am trying to switch to sweet tea instead.
  • painterdlzll
    painterdlzll Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would log the sweet tea just so you don't go over your calories too much. Dr. Oz said he would rather us use real sugar that is just 16 cal. a teaspoon than put artificial sweeteners in our bodies. So if ya keep up with how many teaspoons you use it really isn't that many. Hope this helps.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    if you drink it, then count it - this logging stuff is all about accountability

that way you can decide whether or not you want to spend the calories on it
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Add it. You're still consuming it. Don't kid yourself.

Just use real stevia instead of sugar. It doesn't affect your body like sugar and is just as natural. :)
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I dont drink it, think its gross. But, I do enjoy green tea and tea in general. I would look to stay with sugar over artificial sweetners as there is a ton of research looking at the long term side effects of fake sugars.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give in the sweet tea craving. Make your own tea and use stevia to sweeten. Makes it taste just as good as sweet and isn't artificial. I find if I justify one thing it makes it easier to justify others. Either way - you should enter it into your diary. It will help keep track of where the extra calories are coming from.

^^^ agreed!
  • Rklane
    Rklane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try the MIO sweet tea. It's yummy! Also, try adding Splenda instead. I used to get a large sweet tea from McDonalds every day. I've switched to getting unsweet with 4 splenda. It's close, not quite the same, but will do. It does take a little bit of time to get used to it. But, at 300 calories per visit it was worth it to me.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Why not just make or get regular tea and add a calorie free sweetner like stevia? That's what I make.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I dont drink it, think its gross. But, I do enjoy green tea and tea in general. I would look to stay with sugar over artificial sweetners as there is a ton of research looking at the long term side effects of fake sugars.

Not all are bad. Stevia is really good.
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    you should add it.. not add only is cheating yourself.. and try different sweetners..
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My guy is addicted to it also. The doc told him that he HAD to reduce the sugar in his diet...guess where it was coming from? Since we make the tea at home we reduced the sugar content slowly over a couple months. Before he would put in 1 cup per quart of tea...now he is down to about 1/3 cup per quart of tea. He is used to it now, but still misses the ultra sweet tea. He goes back for re-testing next week...
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    If you are going to drink it, I would use real sugar over anything else.

Make sure you log it. Don't skip logging things to make yourself feel better.

You might soon see that it's not worth the calories and give it up.

I was a heavy coca cola drinker and I quit cold turkey. You don't HAVE to have it.

Or if you don't think you can quit, limit yourself to one small glass a day and then phase down from there.
  • cherryObebe
    Options

Not all are bad. Stevia is really good.

Stevia isn't artificial or fake though. It is from a natural sweet leaf.
  • ohamberx0
    ohamberx0 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'd add vodka and enjoy it even more... then log it.