Maintaining friendships while losing weight

HealthiHannah
HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
I would like opinions please!

With my healthier eating and I have had a recent change from full-time paycheck to full-time unemployed student, I was wondering how people keep up their friendships? What kinds of things do you do without spending money and not having people over for drinks??

Replies

• geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    I'm an old (54) married lady so my notions of socializing might not meet your standard. However, long ago when I was a full-time grad student and also trying to lose weight, my other poor friends and I would get together at one of our homes just to talk, watch crappy TV, share a meal (planned potluck), etc. Even now, when I get together with my female friends, most of us have taken pay cuts, trying to lose weight, watching what we drink because we're driving, etc. so we're low on cash, want low calorie foods and don't drink much. We may share a bottle of wine, have an assortment of snacks and appetizers, etc., and just talk, play Scrabble, watch a movie, etc.

It's more a matter of why you're getting together--to spend time with friends or to eat and drink.
  • HealthiHannah
    Thanks :) I guess I am always just so used to going out for drinks, late nights out and the sort... I haven't had a "night in" for quite awhile!
  • What ever happened to just chill'n? or maybe even an evening of fun playing a friendly game of cards (or any type of board game)? .. There are even active games like pictionary or pass word, darts (indoors) or yard games like lawn bowling, shuffleboard (outdoors). Given the right mix of good friends, some lowcal munchies and refreshments, you've got the mak'ns for a fun (I'm talking knee slapp'n, tears of laughter kind of fun) evening had by all.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Walks walks walks! Walking around and talking! A lot, haha!
  • HealthiHannah
    What ever happened to just chill'n?

No one does that anymore ;) Or atleast my friends don't, their idea of a good time is bar hopping and dance clubs. Good ideas you all have though, I will have to give them a try!
    (I'm talking knee slapp'n, tears of laughter kind of fun) evening had by all.

Hilarious :)
    Walks walks walks! Walking around and talking! A lot, haha!

Sounds lovely, except that my friends are lazy too :( Some of them might go for this, we'll see...
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Movie night! Everyone pitches in a few bucks for dinner (pizza, or you could even do a put-lock style healthy dinner) and watch a couple movies at home.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I love nothing more than to sit at the house with a cheap bottle of red, talking to the wee hours of morning. You could buy some nail polish and do manicures, as well. Or a Netflix movie. Really...it's the time spent with me that means the most.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    I love nothing more than to sit at the house with a cheap bottle of red, talking to the wee hours of morning. You could buy some nail polish and do manicures, as well. Or a Netflix movie. Really...it's the time spent with me that means the most.

My friends and I are actually quite anti-social, we get together and watch movies at home, play board games, and make fun of guys who hit on us on Ok!Cupid (seriously hilarious entertainment right there)
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    When it's warm, we bbq and then play a lawn game (We have Jarts - the last set in the US - ha ha). We also play bochi ball, frisbee, volleyball, soccer, and badmiton.

In the cooler weather, we all bring a dish, and either play board games or watch movies. Sometimes we just hang out and visit with a bottle of wine.