When did you stop feeling fat?

Options
I hope this doesn't come across as an insensitive question. I just still find myself despairing over my reflection in the mirror, even though I know according to the numbers I am ok. I spend half my life still feeling fat, and the other half thinking I look great, then catching my reflection and thinking I look like a heifer.

So when did you get used to your new body?

Replies

• ksmarathon2010
    Options
    I haven't yet and I am 5'8" and weigh 137. I have lost a total of 80 pounds and still see myself as that weight. I have been around 137 for 6 months now.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know when it happens.
  • Jconner30
    Options
    When my 42" jeans were too big - I felt happy I was loosing weight

When my 38" jeans were too big - I felt excited and PUMPED

When my 36" jeans were loose - People at work were calling me "The incredibally shrinking man"

When I put on 34"s AND THEY FIT!!! (This is where I am now) - I feel like I am not fat now :smile:
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Nope, I still feel fat, maybe even fatter :s You would think after 53lb I would feel loads better, but I don't, feel like I still have miles and miles to go. Hope I get the wow, I lost weight feeling one day.
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    idk. I have the same problem. The more weight I lose, the fatter I feel. Whats up with that? :huh:
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Good question! I still feel fat. It seems like the more weight I lose, the fatter I feel. You would think it would be the opposite!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I never feel "un-fat"...there are days I feel much better than others, because I am 5'5 and used to be at 160, and am now at 131. :/
  • BeckyReba
    BeckyReba Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    still working on that :P
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know! It's lost 21lbs since starting and I still feel exactly the same.
    Hopefully it'll be when I start to fit in my UK size 12's again, because that's what I'm aiming for at least.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. Before, if you were anything like me, you were in denial about your body. That meant you were blocking it out. Now you're aware.

I have more "fat days" now than I did 60 lbs. ago. I think "maybe when I lose the next 40 and reach my initial goal, that will all change." But I have friends who have lost over 100 lbs., are well within healthy limits for their height and STILL feel huge.

It may never happen. Just focus on feeling healthy. "Skinny" doesn't feel much different day-to-day.

But good work so far and stick with it. You can totally do this. Just don't expect a wildly different reality. :)
  • barleespringers
    Options
    I would think, it's when you start loving yourself for who you are.
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is mental. I am at my goal weight now, but I look in the mirror and I don't know that I would say I feel fat anymore but I see so many imperfections. My thighs are still not the size I want, I have a pooch in my tummy....and I think that just continuing to workout and tone my body will make me feel better and better. I know I am so much stronger now and will continue to get stronger and feel better and better the longer I stay committed to exercise and health. I think the trap is feeling like you are not perfect and never will be, so why bother. You bother because your health matters to you and your family and every mile you walk and weight you lift and donut you decline, you are one step closer to the you that you want to become.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. Before, if you were anything like me, you were in denial about your body. That meant you were blocking it out. Now you're aware.

I have more "fat days" now than I did 60 lbs. ago. I think "maybe when I lose the next 40 and reach my initial goal, that will all change." But I have friends who have lost over 100 lbs., are well within healthy limits for their height and STILL feel huge.

It may never happen. Just focus on feeling healthy. "Skinny" doesn't feel much different day-to-day.

But good work so far and stick with it. You can totally do this. Just don't expect a wildly different reality. :)

I reckon that is spot on, I never ever cared, only lost weight for something to do and now I am a body obsessed freak :D
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I'm still fat, but I don't feel that way. I stopped feeling fat when I stopped acting fat.

I hope that doesn't come out the wrong way. My old habits were literally weighing me down... and my whole life now is completely different. My attitude toward everything has changed, and it just feels good.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Never! When I lost 77lbs with ww a few years ago, I was the lowest weight I'd been and I was still taken by surprise when I saw my reflection in a shop window. This time round I am an even lower weight and I still feel fat. I think there is probably a body
    dysmorphia thing going on. Husband tells me how slim I look and I just laugh at him.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've battled various eating disorders over the years, and one thing they mentioned in the treatment center is that the thinner people got, the bigger they felt, the more obsessedthey were with their body, and the more attention they had on what they ate.
    Obviously this won't apply to EVERYONE, but considering that most of us (in America at least) have an unhealthy relationship with food and body image, it applies to far more than just the ones with official eating disorders.
  • juliesummers
    Options
    I've battled various eating disorders over the years, and one thing they mentioned in the treatment center is that the thinner people got, the bigger they felt, the more obsessedthey were with their body, and the more attention they had on what they ate.

Obviously this won't apply to EVERYONE, but considering that most of us (in America at least) have an unhealthy relationship with food and body image, it applies to far more than just the ones with official eating disorders.
  • juliesummers
    Options

• juliesummers
    Options
    I did NOT mean to post that several times. My bad.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Never! Still do!