Paramedic Fitness Test

Options
kiwi1855
kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
Hey all, wasn't sure where to put this one...

I'm at the point that I think I could *maybe* get into good enough shape to complete one of my life's goals, which is to get paramedic certified. Not only will I have to get into the best shape I've ever been in, I'll have to get over my debilitating fear of needles. Win win in my books.

So my question is: for anyone who knows someone or is someone who has gone through the Paramedic Fitness test or something similar, how bad is it? Is there a training regimen that works to prep you? If there are several, which did you try and how did it help you? What do you wish you had known going in the first time?

I hate failure, and refuse to go into this blind... Any help is appreciated. I do note that pushups are a part of the test, so I've already got a plan to strengthen that and work on pumping out more reps before I get tired, but advice on that is still VERY welcome.

Thanks all!

Replies

• staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Depending on the department/agency a fitness test for a paramedic could be anything from a routine-type physician based physical to a full firefighter physical which could include things such as dragging hose, climbing a laddder, dragging a dummy 25 feet, push-ups, sit-up, bench press to exhaustion, sit and stretch, standing leap, etc...

Of course, you'll need to pass a drug screening, probably a nicotine blood test, spirometer. And although not phyical-related a background and driving records review. Don't be surprised if they ask to run your credit and ask to have access to any social web site like FB.

Hope that helps! Good luck! I've been at it for almost 35 years.
  • city_of_frogs
    city_of_frogs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    hey i am currently applying for the police... and i failed the fitness test :S

so i have to pull my socks up and try again :D

we have to do a shuttle run/beep test to pass the initial fitness component to get into the academy

so for training for that, i'll be doing a test weekly, and doing High Intensity Interval Training...

good luck, we can both do it!