Need advice on settings

Options
I have my setting on sedentary lifestyle then I just log any exercise I do. I have come to a stand still on losing weight for the past 3 weeks and the only difference is I started back with school and work now that summer is over. I still eat the same and stay within 100 calories of my goal almost every day. Now that I am back in school and work I am a little more active then I was over the summer on a regular basis. I usually walk about 3 miles a day just in my daily errands and classes etc. and then I get to workout only about 2 days a week. So my question is...should I still be set at sedentary? or should I be in lightly active? I do sit alot during work and classes but I feel I am pretty active all other times. Could this be the reason I stopped losing because I am not eating enough calories? So confused and I want to start losing again!!
Sorry for the book I just wrote and any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Not sure what to tell you, but love your ticker. Huge DB and Labyrinth fan.
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I deliberated that same question and went with sedentary. Reason? Because even though you might be sort of on the border of lightly active, if you aren't fully there, the estimates will be off a little in the direction of losing less weight (assuming you burn less than it estimates you do). However, if you estimate a lower daily/lifestyle burn than you really have and meet the goals, you end up with bonus weight loss.

One other thing that has been working for me is a pedometer. Because I walk around a lot at work but aren't really "on my feet" for work, I just track my steps and use the calorie estimate from the pedometer.

Just for comparison, I usually walk 3-5 miles per day and work out more formally (running, aerobics classes, strength training, circuit, whatever) usually 4-6 days a week. I just log the calories based on those activities and don't alter my lifestyle setting.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I am a bit confused as well. I have a part time office job (16 hours mainly) and I work from home but I also look after my son and run around after him a lot, I walk with him everywhere and I have been logging that as exercise but then not being eating the calories back. I pretty much do not sit down until he is in bed. I was at light then changed to sedentary but now I am constantly hungry but I was not beforehand. I think I am going to change my lifesyle to light and not log the walks I take him on or when I take him to nursery. If I am not with him I am cleaning, running upstairs etc so that sounds pretty active to me.

I think it sounds like you need to eat more. 3 miles is a lot if that is not including exercise. Also maybe you should be takimng measurement as you may not be losing weight but losing inches.

X
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Himm the above from mine is interesting. Maybe give both a try and see what happens.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks all. I will probably leave it at sedentary but maybe try meeting the goal set everyday not come under by 100 which is what usually happens. I usually don't log the 3 miles a day but maybe I will log it in the future if I see no change soon. I do use a pedometer some days just to get a feel for how much walking I am doing that's how I got the figure 3 miles a day.
    Thanks all for the advice!