How to avoid eating at night?

Options
Hey! I was just wondering did anyone have any tips or advice on how to avoid eating at night? You see I can nearly go from the time I have my breakfast in the morning to when I have my dinner at around half 5 in the evening without eating anything in between as long as I've something to preoccupy myself with (in this case exercise and other daily tasks) its just at night when im sitting down watching tv with nothing to do that i get a real craving for sugar! Im not even hungry most of the time its just the novelty of having something to eat when im watching my favorite shows, can anyone solve this? Also feel free to add me, I need all the motivation I can get! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• jseymour81976
    jseymour81976 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find having a Diet soda helps with that sugar craving. It has no calories but has that little sweetness to pass by the time.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This has always been a problem for me my whole life. This time, I planned for a late night snack. I always leave about 150 Cal after dinner for some kind of late snack. It's been working well.
  • shane0763
    shane0763 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    usually, i take a shower. it sounds lame. but a shower is way more enjoyable to me than food.
  • Allthingsrpossilble
    Options
    In the winter I make myself a cup of flavored caffeine free coffee. There are so many different flavors to choose from. I'm a fan of caramel ones and chocolate covered cherries.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'd say make a cup of tea or hot cocoa.
    You're hungry because when you were younger you'd sit down and watch TV and you'd probably eat. You've conditioned your mind to think "This is time to eat." :)
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    J-E-L-L-O
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I play a little mental game with myself...I have a small little lamp (I think they are call tea lamps) in the corner in my kitchen...Once all of my calories are consumed for the day I turn that lamp off. That means the kitchen is closed for the night!! I know it sounds silly but it works for me...and if all else fails hot tea...something about drinking something warm makes you not want to eat...:drinker:
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have started reading Beck's Diet Solution... it is what I am doing instead of eating my brains out all evening. I do save a bit of room for popcorn if I am legitimately hungry. I sometimes do cross stitching (can't do that and eat at the same time). Or I make hubs rub my shoulders!! Lol!
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    Yup this can be a problem. I remember when i was dieting last time and was living in the UK I could go the whole day being super good then get to the evening and ruin a whole days good work.
    So now I wake up at 530am for a 615am gym class so hop into bed at 830pm after an apple (& brushing & flossing teeth of course!) It means I am not going to bed hungry and don't eat any more than I am meant to.
    I read til 9pm then lights off and sleep.
    I can't eat if I'm asleep :D
    Also i do have a small row of dark chocolate with almonds after dinner (100 calories) with a cup of peppermint tea that i eat VERY slowly so it takes me from dinner time (630pm) til 730pm then only 45min-1hr hr til my apple and bed.
    Also keep yourself occupied-internet, talk of phone, chat to people in the house etc.
    Good luck!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I drink 32oz of water and go to bed
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Just plan for it. Nothing wrong with eating late as long as you allow for the calories.

If you know you will be wanting a snack late at night, make sure you leave a couple of hundred calories free from your daily budget to allow for it!

Also, bigbear, you drink 32 oz of water then go to bed? That's almost 2 pints of water? Right before bed?! Wow, do you have something urgent to get up for in the morning? :P
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i like to make hot cocoa with diet cocoa mix (25 cals) and unsweetened almond milk (1 cup=40cals). its yummy and the warmness makes me full for only 65 calories! and i like to cuddle up on the couch with it while i enjoy my shows at the end of the day
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    It's best to avoid any food late at nite but if you have to ... try sugar fudgesicles or jello. Also try gum, water or tea works for me.
  • livinghcglacey
    Options
    I play a little mental game with myself...I have a small little lamp (I think they are call tea lamps) in the corner in my kitchen...Once all of my calories are consumed for the day I turn that lamp off. That means the kitchen is closed for the night!! I know it sounds silly but it works for me...and if all else fails hot tea...something about drinking something warm makes you not want to eat...:drinker:

I like this! I think this would work for me as well. thanks for the idea!!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    The VEGGY BELLY! You stuff yourself so full of veggies that you can't possibly eat. I always look PG afterward, but by AM my tummy is flat again. Always works for me. :)
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth, rinse with mouthwash, shower and get in your pijamas. Fool your body you're going to bed and after the toothpaste taste, everything else sucks!
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    Brush your teeth, rinse with mouthwash, shower and get in your pijamas. Fool your body you're going to bed and after the toothpaste taste, everything else sucks!
    That is a good one. I use that too