Good sources of protein?

Options
After talking briefly with a fitness trainer today I was told that I need to add more protein to my diet. He suggested a protein supplement but I'm a little leery of adding what may be empty calories (even if they are good calories - if there is such a thing:)

I would rather eat foods high in protein, any suggestions on what works? Or is there a protein supplement that is low in calories that you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• momtoaimee
    momtoaimee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like the designer whey protein powder. It is 100 cals and 18 g of protein. My favorite source of protein is actually cottage cheese.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
    almonds
    meats-chicken,steak
    trail mix
    eggs
  • NonaD
    Options
    Hi - I have to take in 60-80 mg per day and I do it through a protein shake from http://www.unjury.com They have the BEST tasting protein shakes of all and all their products show the whole nutrition label right on line. Good luck!!
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    String Cheese is a great "go to" snack packed with protein.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    High purity whey protein mix (at least 22 grams protein for 120 calorie serving, that is my cut off), I do not drink it for flavor
    Animal parts of any kind, trim the fat
    Fish
    Fish
    Fish
    Fish
    Fish
    Animals
    FISH

Beware the fake proteins like qinoa, granola and whatever else gets tossed around as high protein grain like substances. The numbers do not add up. Even qinoa, which is high in protein compared to grains, cannot even come close to being a high protein source compared to cottage cheese.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Tuna, fish
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Meat
    Lentils
    Beans
    Tofu
    Cheese
    PB

and yes...protein powder. Just watch out for how processed it is and if any chemicals are used. I use Vega which is a vegan protein with no soy, no artifical colors/flavors/sweetners.

*Also...do not pay attention to the people on this thread that have no profile pic and this is their first thread post...they are spammers.
  • doc_martin
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll definitely keep them in mind when grocery shopping this week (except for the cottage cheese - can't stand the stuff :)
  • mplsphotoguy
    mplsphotoguy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The hummus that I like is only 2g of protein per serving, but if I have 2C of broccoli and 5oz of hummus (holy land hummus with red pepper is my favorite) for lunch, I consume about 360 calories for lunch and get 16g of protein (10 from the hummus and 6 from the broccoli). The hummus is already in a pureed state so it's very easy for my body to digest and I get a lot of benefit for something that doesn't seem like a huge amount of protein. In addition, the broccoli and hummus combo gives me 38% of my daily value of iron, 28% of my calcium, 260% of my vitamin C and 100% of my vitamin A.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    High purity whey protein mix (at least 22 grams protein for 120 calorie serving, that is my cut off), I do not drink it for flavor
    Animal parts of any kind, trim the fat
    Fish
    Fish
    Fish
    Fish
    Fish
    Animals
    FISH

Beware the fake proteins like qinoa, granola and whatever else gets tossed around as high protein grain like substances. The numbers do not add up. Even qinoa, which is high in protein compared to grains, cannot even come close to being a high protein source compared to cottage cheese.

I'm guessing....Paleo or Primal? Lol. I'm a veg and the guy I'm dating is all for Grok...so this is always an interesting conversation for us, lol.
  • Tyler477
    Tyler477 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    try this for brekkie:

Pinto beans ( make yourself from dried in a crock pot using chicken stock)

overeasy egg (or 2)

on toast!!

sooo good especially with tobasco on top and packed with protein and good carbs. Use sprouted toast.

I'm in weight loss mode and with coffee (cream + sugar) it's 300 cals and I'm full for hours.
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Quinoa! So much you can do with it!
  • strawberryontop
    strawberryontop Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Low calorie protein:

EDAMAME
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Egg whites
    Low fat Greek yogurt
    Cheese
    Designer whey protein powder shake with water or almond milk
  • FlyFishinX2
    Options
    I like the designer whey protein powder. It is 100 cals and 18 g of protein. My favorite source of protein is actually cottage cheese.

I also use Designer whey, It's a good way for me to get rid of things that need used up from the fridge like strawberries,carrot juice, and soy milk and it usually turns out pretty good I'll make enough for three shakes , drink one and put the rest in a pitcher..
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You can find protein powder any where from 90 - 150 calories, very low sugar and carbs. View my diary you can see the supplements I take, in addition to protein from food. Whey protein is good to take right after working out. Casein protein is good a bedtime.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Besides meat, dairy, and eggs...

whole grains (quinoa, rice, barley, oats, etc.)
    nuts and nut butters
    seeds
    beans
    tofu

I also have Sunwarrior protein powder, which is only 70 calories for 16 grams of protein.
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    don't forget Kangaroo - extremely high protein content and if cooked with care it's YUM!

(from an aussie who consumes usually 3 serves of this weekly).
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    don't forget Kangaroo - extremely high protein content and if cooked with care it's YUM!

(from an aussie who consumes usually 3 serves of this weekly).

Kangaroo?? For real? This makes me sad inside. :frown:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Tuna, fish
    You can tune a piano, but you can't TUNA FISH.................................................okay bad humor.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Steak
    Pork
    Chicken
    Veal
    Bison
    Deer
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Sashimi (I prefer raw fish to cooked most of the time)
    Peanut Butter