sweet tooth issues...any tips?

Options
Hey, i have major issues when it comes to anything sugary ( chocolate is the worst) and while im not actually eating this stuff...its all i can think about. I think i should have some healthy alternatives on hand so i dont end up downing a whole mudcake! does anyone one have any suggestions? your help would be very much appreciated :)

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Fiber one has these 90 calorie brownies. Breyers has these chocolate covered chocolate icecream bars. Part of the SMooth and Dreamy collection. It's only 120 calories per. Lots of other options. Seek and ye shall find.
  • kaeelle
    kaeelle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Try Kellogg's Special K bars. They have them in all flavors, chocolate included! They're low calorie, 90 for each bar, and they're a great afternoon pick-me-up. And, very sweet. Best "bar" I've had, for sure.
  • SophRW
    SophRW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Check out my latest post on my blog at sophiessweeties.com. It's a recipe for date and seed balls coated in raw carob powder. They really hit the spot AND they're healthy!! A great alternative to the low cal but highly processed foods like Fiber One bars, Skinny Cow and all those other "healthy" indulgences.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love the fiberone brownies also. But there is another great blog called Chocolatecoveredkatie.com. She has lots of good healthy recipes that are awesome!
  • kenyabloodstone
    Options
    My favorite sweets are Quakers Chocolate Crunch rice cakes. They taste like crunch bars to me YUMM and only have 60 calories per cake.
  • Amuggsy78
    Amuggsy78 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of sneaky chef? There are recipes that contain veggies that you can't taste, reduced sugar, increased protien, and other healthy stuff. Also I've found that anything in moderation is no problem. I find at the end of the day I'm under calories sometimes so rather than have the website yell at me for not eating enough, I have a dessert or a handful of candy. I'm not recommending this but I'm still loosing...

Good luck, Hope you find something good that satisfies you.
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    100 cal bag of kettle popcorn, or strawberries work well for me!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You might also want to check into supplementing with some Chromium Picolinate. Chromium deficiency is one of the triggers for sweet cravings. It worked for me.
  • califigureeight
    Options
    When I want something sweet, I ate it and immediately log it. Then I work with what I have for the remainder of the day. I have learned that I can't go all week without eating cupcakes (my fav) and then eat 6 on Friday when I melt. Instead, I have 1 or even 2 when I crave them and end up having much less overall.
  • gpjuicy69
    Options
    I would recommend Arctic Zero it's only 150cal for the whole pint so yummy too
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I buy 72% cacao chocolate bars and break off a square when I'm craving something sweet. Lots of antioxidants in the super-dark chocolate, and the intense flavor hits the spot. The bars I get from Trader Joe's have 70 calories in 1/4 of the bar.
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to applesauce and they have a VARIETY of flavors. Blueberry pom is super yummy. Regular Cinammon Applesauce is good and ht cup is 90 calories. I don't care about the sugars and blah blah blah becuase i feel like i'm eating junk and it's only 90 calories of fruit.

Also, raisins. The serving size is a quarter cup. I've done Ants on a Log so i can chew, eat sweets and not blow everything. Here's the trick: Portion out your peanut butter and raisins, cut your celery sticks thin, dip the celery, hand place raisins. Its incredibly time consuming but making eating time consumming also helps you slow down.

incorporating textures helps with sweet cravings : )
  • izzyinbliss
    izzyinbliss Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I keep some sweet 479-degrees popcorn (http://www.479popcorn.com/flavor.html?mv_arg=GSC) around the house for exactly those moments. One full cup of the fleur de sel caramel popcorn is just 100 cals, the ginger sesame caramel is just 110, and the vietnamese cinnamon sugar is just 120 cals. When my sweet cravings are small, I'll just get a quarter cup and slowly savor them with a cup of rose tulsi tea—just 25-30 cals!
  • Ritala1987
    Ritala1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, there are some really great ideas there, much appreciated.There were a couple of products i havent heard of as im from new zealand but we do have an american food store here so i might check that out too!
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    don't deprive yourself! check out this website, it has lots of healthier alternatives for meals and sweets :)

skinnytaste.com
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've been taking apple cider vinegar for a while now and it seems to have curbed my cravings......My added sugar intake has dropped........

I still have the occasional chocolate bar.......
  • jeanie✰
    Options
    2 chocolate graham crackers with 1 tbsp of whipped cream (like cool whip), frozen. they're verrry lo-cal and taste A LOT like an icecream sammich!
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love the deep chocolate vita tops! They have 100 calories or so and 9 grams of fiber. I like to heat mine up in the microwave for about 30 seconds so the chocolate chips on top get melty. So good!
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you're a true chocaholic try snacking on unsweetened baking chocolate chips. They might take care of your chocolate craving but their bitterness will stop you from eating a handful at a time. To intensify the flavor keep them in the freezer; being cold will intensify the flavor.

Also try to find other foods that your tongue interprets as sweet that are more healthy. For me I've discovered my tongue really keys in on the sweetness in raw carrots and almonds. If you can refine your taste buds to note more nuanced flavors you may find foods you thought were good before will become too sweet to be enjoyed in excess.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    well if you have about 240 cals or so this is a nice treat. i pop my own popcorn, and skip the butter. I use 3 tbs kernels and 1 tbs olive oil(you can use coconut oil if you want a "sweeteer" taste. THen after popping, i place in a bowl, then use salt, and some cinnomon sugar.......soooooo gooood. I give like a fourth of it to my dad, but you cna eat the whole thing if you have your cals saved up. It hits that pms-ey salt but sweet cravings wonderfully.