Any vegetarians out there?

Cassi_Lynnette
Cassi_Lynnette Posts: 14
edited October 2 in Food and Nutrition
What are your favorite vegetarian meals? I'm thinking of making the switch, but I don't know where to begin! I love cooking- but just not familiar with the vegetarian thing...

Replies

• I have been a vegetarian for 20 years. I think my favorite vegetarian meal would be something that I just threw together one day and it ended up being really yummy.. You take soy chorizo, chili beans (plain pinto with spices), mexican styled stewed tomato, slice zuchini, sliced yellow squash, and mushrooms. saute (usually use pam or just a bit of water) the zuchini, yellow squash and mushrooms.then add in the stewed tomato and chili beans. brown the soy chorizo and add it to the mix at the end. It is good as a taco salad top, over brown rice, or just on its own.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 277 Member
    I was a vegetarian for 4 years in high school and in the process of getting rid of meat I became allergic to soy and beans. Something about over loading my body with soy gave me tiny holes in my guts. so just be careful I dont think what happened to me is common but it happened. I feel all the fake soy meat is a bad idea.
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    My auntie's veg chile rellenos.. but def not MFP-friendly food! lol. I should try to make my own light version..
  • akrzyzewski
    akrzyzewski Posts: 28 Member
    Beans and lentils the main course of my dinner. I make a lot of Mexican inspired dishes, like salad topped with corn and beans and salsa, and bean soups and stews. Indian dishes with chickpeas or lentils are my favorite. If you are making pasta add lots of veges (steamed broccoli, mushrooms, squash, anything) in your sauce and add some white beans. For lunch I usually just have a salad with nuts and fruits, and I find that pretty satisfying. I'm really a flexitarian, not a vegetarian. I only eat meat a few times a month, when something organic is on sale. You will just have to get rid of the idea that meat should be the main part of your meal, because beans taste better and are far healthier. Check out some cookbooks, get creative, and don't be afraid to try new foods.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    I have oatmeal and an orange for breakfast. My lunches are usually a bunch of raw fruits, mixed nuts, raw veggies, and tofu. My dinners are usually rice, beans, yogurt, and a green veggie (spinach, broccoli, kale, etc.). Basically, lots of fruit and veggies, some whole grains, some nuts and beans, and some dairy (if you want to). You can adapt pretty much any recipe to a vegetarian diet.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    bump!
This discussion has been closed.