Need a good entertaining read please:)

Options
2»

Replies

• cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sick Puppy and Skinny Dip by Carl Hiassen
    They're both really interesting and funny. Quirky.

Chuck Palahniuk's books are good. Funny but with a sick twist. Rant was my least favorite and I still liked it. Can't vouch for Snuff yet.

Augusten Burroughs has amazing books. Magical Thinking, Running with Scissors, And Possible Side Effects are my favorites. I also liked Dry a lot but it's more serious and sad.

I listened to Stephen King's Duma Key on Cd, but I absolutely loved it. So. Good.

An of course-- Harry Potter!
  • goatruns
    Options
    Don't forget audio books., Running WIth Scissors is a great audio.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    World War Z by Max Brooks. A book written as a series of interviews with survivors of a zombie apocalypse. It may sound silly but it's VERY well done. They're about to make a movie out of it with Brad Pitt.

I've recommended this book to a lot of people and everyone of them really loved it. Enjoy your trip!
  • cgavin77
    Options
    suggestions for an epic entertaining read (not like pillars of the earth;) Any suggestions?

Edited to add that I love pretty much everything although sort of over the vampire craze that has been going around;) favorite books are anything by Jodi piccolt, hunger games series, intensity by dean koontz, Tuesday's with morrie, life of pi and a child called it.

Love & have read all the books you mentioned. If you are looking for a series the Tea Rose (1st book) and Winter Rose (2nd book) (soon to be a 3rd book called Wild Rose) By Jennifer Donnelly or one longer great book is The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.

Currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. GREAT book. (over 600 pages so would be perfect for those 13 hr.)

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    hunger games trilogy, and the strain trilogy (only first two books are out though)
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just finished Blue Monday by Nicci French. I really enjoyed it!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    hunger games trilogy, and the strain trilogy (only first two books are out though)

Yes I second The Hunger Games Trilogy!! You won't regret reading those and need all three because you won't want to stop reading them.
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    The Mortal Instruments Trilogy was good.

There's another series that's a pretty quick read. The Alchemist, The Magician, The Sorceress, The Warlock. I can't recall the author right now or the actual series name. Story about Nicholas Flamel and his wife being alive still and they are guardians for a magical book. Two teenagers become involved in helping them, and each book is centered around a different character. I like them!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    If you like sci-fi/fantasty, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. It's my fave and extremely long (13th book comes out in 2 months).

OMG! I read them ^^...and now I'm reading the The Belgariad/The Malloreon series by David Eddings.... I'm on book 4 (or book 9 if you count them as 1 series like me lol). I love them. I recommend both authors (Jordan/Eddings)
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I like historical fiction. I'm reading "The BookThief". A little heavy... About WWII nazi Germany, but excellent. Also "Unbroken". Also WWII setting. Amazing true story!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Anything by Jodi Picoult. She is my absolute favorite author. My favorite is My Sister's Keeper (don't be misled if you watched the movie, the book is a million times better, they changed the ending in the movie).

My friend and I went and watched this movie, both of us had read the book. We cried buckets all through the movie because how sad it is and of course knowing the ending.

We were pretty pissed when it came to the ending. I don't see the point in changing it like they did. The books ending is what MADE the whole thing. So disappointed....completely ruined it!
  • JujiBean
    Options
    I just ordered Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Book 1. $2.99 on Kindle....with great reviews. Can't beat that!
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Janet Evonivich is hilarious! Shes a good easy read, you'll laugh alot. (the stephanie plum series)

Black dagger brother hood by jr ward. Its vampire but not in the normal sense. Its like a 3 steps better then true blood.

I love Judi Piccoult, 19 mins is a great one and so is handle with care. Handle with care was super emotional.

Have fun on your trip
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I loved "Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns" By Khaled Hussein - Not exactly wamr fuzzy books but really good reads.
    I have heard that "The Help" By Kathryn Stockett is good but have no yet read myself
    "The Bronze Horseman" (Author forgotton sorry) is a gorgeous book, but quite a big read.

Kylie.

The Help is an awesome book!!!!