Walking with Moose

Options
SLambertAlaska
SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
I finally got my no-food-self-control heinie out for a walk this evening and was rewarded with a mama and baby moose grazing in the bushes in the center of the ski trail loop I was walking on. What a bonus!

My dog and I did two laps while observing them. But on the third lap they had moved much closer to the trail, so we turned around and went a lap back the other way. By then, they were very close to the trail so I leashed up the dog and took a few pics with my phone. Then I tried to slowly pass by on the far side of the trail. The usual thing is to be concerned about mama protecting her baby, but mama was cool as a cucumber: lifted her head to check us out and went right back to eating. As we got close, however, baby decided to check us out -- walked toward us sniffing and sniffing. She got right up on the trail walking toward us. I wasn't too worried about baby, but I WAS worried that mama would decide we were too close and freak out, so I backed up. But baby kept on coming. I looked on the outside of the loop for a tree I could get behind if worse came to worse. (There's a new motivation to lose weight!) I finally backed away fast enough that she gave up and went back to the bushes to eat. I tried again to edge past, but baby came back out on the trail walking toward us, sniffer going like crazy. I finally had to to back way down the trail and circle around them to get back to my car.

A great evening! (I will attempt to upload a photo of baby backing us down the trail.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16317369@N06/
SpringMooseatERHSTrail.jpg

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    wonderful
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    That's awesome. I live in Austin, so nothing this cool happens when I'm walking. On the other hand, sometimes I have to steer clear of a drug dealer or something, so that adds some excitement. lol
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Options
    Wow, that's cool! I've never seen a moose, even in a zoo! I mainly see nice birds when I walk (or shops and things walking around work).
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    That is SSOOOOOO cute...
    but i did acually come on this forum to tell you off! :cry: why you ask???? you said you were walking with moose i thoughtyou ment walking and eating moose!lol :noway:
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    what a amazing experience.
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    When my parent's lived in Alaska they loved seeing moose. I can remember stories they told of mama's going after people because they were worried about their babies. Glad baby finally gave up on checking you out close up!
  • jamerican23
    jamerican23 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    amazing adventure ........nice pic too