Vegetable substitutes

Options
1a1a
1a1a Posts: 761 Member
Thin strips of zucchini with pasta sauce (I'm not low carb so I do a half and half zucchini "pasta" and normal pasta, cauliflower rice (haven't tried it yet but imagine I will again go for the half and half.

Two fantastic ways to bulk up a meal, increase veg consumption and keep calories down, does anyone know of any other inoffensive, transparent tasting filler vege tricks?

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is great for pasta substitute! And mushrooms in place of meat.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti...not tried it yet but I will...looks interesting

and bump to sees others replies

ETA: ^^ pipped at the post!
  • katinka13
    Options
    i love this detox vegan chili:
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/black-bean-sweet-potato-chili.html
    it's all fresh vegs, only a bit of oil and spices, low cal and sooo yummy!
  • katinka13
    Options
    just look for vegan recipes online, it's all witout eggs, butter, of course meat & fish :) etc. they all have interesting veg or fruit fillers and almost always are low cal. there are also tons of vegan baking recipes..
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    excellent! Was just browsing looking for dinner ideas! :D
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Also, I always use half mince, half canned brown lentils in any beef mince recipe. No-one in this house has ever even noticed!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    i love this detox vegan chili:
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/black-bean-sweet-potato-chili.html
    it's all fresh vegs, only a bit of oil and spices, low cal and sooo yummy!

I think I've found my new dinner staple for the fall and winter.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I find that finally shredded raw cabbage holds sauces very well and I suspect that quickly blanching it would probably also make a good pasta replacement. I haven't tried it yet though.

In general, it seems to be a good filler in many things. I use it in stir fries, fried rice (halves the rice), meatballs (halves the meat and you don't need breadcrumbs) - really anything!